Old 31-07-2003, 04:43 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] BT#84 Takagi pot comp wonderings

I was recently catching up on mags and was re-introduced to Takagi pot comp pics in BT#84 pgs 7-11.
I remember when the NBF/ National Bonsai Arboretum sort-of modeled their competition after his a couple years ago and posted some pics of the finalist pots that I heard a lot of comments about the pots ( particularly the modern catagort) which basically ce
ntered around "What bonsai could you ever put in those pots?" At that time I never had doubts that bonsai could be put into any of them but I guess lots of people did! :)

When in Tokyo and visiting Takagi's Museum I saw several pics of past pots and some in real life. On website there were pics of judging and in all cases I was suprised at the actual size of some of them. Most were what I'd definitely consider of "modern" s
hapes/colors/styles. These pics in BT84 give dimensions. Most are pretty good sized, definitely not "grass pots" as you might think up front looking at photos. . Several of the chosen pots are planted ( Gee, what a novel idea!). I like them all! BTW, if y
ou go to website you can see all winning pots from last 8 years. Some FANTASTIC technical work there!!

I noted in the BT84 text that several of them note that "this is a hard pot to chose a tree for" or similar comments along those lines.

Now to my question. Since some time has gone by and more people are aware of both the Takagi pots and NBF pots I wondering how many IBC readers would actually consider buying any of them for potting bonsai, keeping in mind the size of most. They aren't gr
ass pots, they are good sized pots. Do you STILL see no use for them.
Have your views changed since seeing some potted with trees,
Have the Europeans attitudes on pots affected any of you.

I'm really curious if the average bonsai guy oit there would , upon seeing one for sale at a convention, think to himself, "oh yea, I could put my azalea in that"
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++