Old 07-08-2003, 09:08 PM
William N. Valavanis

Default [IBC] DEAD BONSAI ILLUSTRATED

I just received my September 2003 issue of Contemporary Bonsai (Kinbon)
from Kyoto, Japan. Included are two color photos of dead bonsai....

In all my years and in my entire library, I have never seen color photos
of bonsai when they are really "finished". (I do remember once, however,
a black and white photo of "Fudo" a famous Shimpaku juniper bonsai
bonsai which died at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden about 30 years ago.
There is also a story about this dead bonsai in this issue too. It is
directly across another article on the original Bicentenial bonsai
collection which the Japanese gave to the United States in 1975.

There are two dead bonsai photos illustrated in this issue. The first is
a famous Shimpaku juniper from 1939 showing its development through its
death. (no, there was no black frame around the final photo).

The second dead bonsai photo is of the original Zuisho Japanese
five-needle pine bonsai which Saiichi Suzuki introduced to the public a
while back. This final photo is very intersting because it has been
bare-rooted and the entire root structure can be observed.

There are numberous other photos of great LIVING bonsai in this issue as
well, and I will concentrate on looking at those rather than the dead
ones, even though I have ben thinking about death lately... Is there a
message there?

Bill

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++