Old 29-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] *****Happy B'day to me

My birthday book arrived today. (Books are pretty standard gifts
for this bookworm come the holidays and birthdays.)

This one's a fun one that I didn't know about before I stumbled
across it on an on-line used booksto "Masterpieces of Bonsai"
Yoshio Takayanagi, ed. - Shufunotomo/Japan Pub. 1986.

It's a picture book. Very little text and, thankfully, NONE of
the how-to "stuff" that clutters up most bonsai books (if you've
read one, you've just about read them all ;-). Lots of nice
pictures of a number of very good (if not absolutely the
greatest) Japanese bonsai -- most of them 10 orders of magnitude
larger than any I own, but some nice little shohin at the end.
(WHY are shohin always relegated to the end of the book?)

Anyway, _Many Thanks_ Jackie. ;-) (I don't need to buy HER a
B'day gift (her birthday, 9-11, is now celebrated with mine, for
obvious reasons) because she just bought herself a BRAND NEW pony
cart -- and harness! We already had the pony, or . . . ;-)

Bonsai as a hobby is a heckuva lot cheaper than horses as a
business! --- Remember that!

And let me be the first to wish Bill V. a happy birthday. We
share the date (Sept. 3) but _several_ years apart. ;-) He's
such a kid! And for everyone heading to his neighborhood next
week, you can wish him a belated happy B'day. Wish I could be
there.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Luke Tulkas

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
It's a picture book. Very little text and, thankfully, NONE of
the how-to "stuff" that clutters up most bonsai books (if you've
read one, you've just about read them all ;-). Lots of nice
pictures of a number of very good (if not absolutely the
greatest) Japanese bonsai -- most of them 10 orders of magnitude
larger than any I own,

That would be 15 to 30 metres. Are you sure that such large bonsai
exist? ;-)

Old 31-08-2003, 07:12 AM
wsallen

Jim Lewis wrote in message 000a01c36e77$f2b4bac0$1a112cc7@pavilion...
My birthday book arrived today. (Books are pretty standard gifts
for this bookworm come the holidays and birthdays.)

This one's a fun one that I didn't know about before I stumbled
across it on an on-line used booksto "Masterpieces of Bonsai"
Yoshio Takayanagi, ed. - Shufunotomo/Japan Pub. 1986.

I love online stores, you can find 'gems' for very little effort.

snip
Anyway, _Many Thanks_ Jackie. ;-) (I don't need to buy HER a
B'day gift (her birthday, 9-11, is now celebrated with mine, for
obvious reasons) because she just bought herself a BRAND NEW pony
cart -- and harness! We already had the pony, or . . . ;-)

Happy Birthday Jim and Jackie. And Bill.V!
So for Christmas Jim, you'll be getting her a matched set of 4 Cleveland
bays to drive with? gd&r

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie

Old 31-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Jim Lewis

Happy Birthday Jim and Jackie. And Bill.V!
So for Christmas Jim, you'll be getting her a matched set of 4

Cleveland
bays to drive with? gd&r

NO! One Haflinger-Welch pony, one Hanovarian gelding, one
TB-Quarterhorse Gelding and a Retired Grand Prix QH Mare are
ENOUGH! frown! stop putting thoughts into her head. She has
enough already!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

Old 31-08-2003, 02:02 PM
wsallen

Jim Lewis wrote in message 001701c36fb7$d3527280$1d102cc7@pavilion...
Happy Birthday Jim and Jackie. And Bill.V!
So for Christmas Jim, you'll be getting her a matched set of 4

Cleveland
bays to drive with? gd&r

NO! One Haflinger-Welch pony, one Hanovarian gelding, one
TB-Quarterhorse Gelding and a Retired Grand Prix QH Mare are
ENOUGH! frown! stop putting thoughts into her head. She has
enough already!

Oooh nice collection you have there! Perhaps a piccy of the cart and harness
and horse? Please ( I'd love to see the result of a Welsh/Haflinger X) or
I might have to start muttering about

whisper
tricorn teams and rig
or
Budweiser Clydies (you know she wants one;-)
/whisper

And to keep this post vaguely on topic...

I have several maples (ranging from 0.5cm to 2cm at the base). It is Spring
in Australia tomorrow, I'm in a coastal area and we've been getting temps
ranging from 5degC (nights) to 22-24degC (days) with intermittent rain. One
maple (about 1.5cm trunk) is leafing out, ie. the several leaves are
completely out, but still narrow - the others (~5) show no sign of
swelling buds at all (they are still alive though, green inner bark, etc).

Is this normal? They are all tridents from a variety of club sources.

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie

happy, happy, happy David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 1 12-01-2010 06:32 AM
Happy Father's Day? Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 8 16-06-2003 02:56 AM
Happy Mothers Day John Rutz Ponds 19 13-05-2003 02:32 AM
Happy Xmas to you all - thank you for hours of happy listening Maryanne North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:44 PM
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday... Reka Orchids 4 05-04-2003 11:32 PM