Old 10-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Maple cut back/redesign

There have been two posts I'd like to address. One
being the maple with broken braches and the other
being the one dying from the top down.

Maples are pretty forgiving about bein cut back. I
have some lovely shohin made from maples and
crabapples that I have mercelessy cut back in late
winter/early spring, before the buds swell at all, but
at a time when the tree is thinking about brealing
dormancy.

You need to leave a node or two for the three to have
new sprouts. With out nodes, you will not have a
tree. This is not true of elms, but is true for
maples and crabs.

This way you get shorter trees with really fat trunks
that look ancient.

Kitsune Miko

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

JD L-Series 2006 redesign Darryl Lawns 5 03-05-2006 04:04 PM
AOS Forum redesign - useless Eric Hunt Orchids 13 02-02-2005 08:22 PM
[IBC] To cut or not to cut that´s the question. Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 04-11-2004 01:39 PM
Pond redesign help wanted Bryan Ponds 2 14-02-2004 11:12 PM
[IBC] Cut Paste; was [IBC] Maple advice Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 06-05-2003 04:32 AM