Old 25-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Willem Carstens

Default [IBC] Bonsai recommendations

Hi

I live in Gauteng - South Africa.I was wondering if anyone could give me
some recommendations of where to get tree seeds,seedlings or nursery stock
in my area.

I am new to Bonsai and i have not been able to find anything locally and
really do not
want to order something in US dollars if i couild help it.

Thanking You

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Jim Lewis

In a message dated 9/25/2003 4:53:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I live in Gauteng - South Africa.I was wondering if anyone

could give me
some recommendations of where to get tree seeds,seedlings or

nursery stock
in my area.

There are a lot of books out there that discuss bonsai

and show/list
trees. Get a book, find some tree ideas found in SA and go

hunting. The great
Bonsai are collected from the wild and many of the Ficus (fig)

species make
good bonsai. There should be a lot a wild sources. Look at

mowed areas by
roadsides. Check with local authorities before you dig anything

to make sure you
will not be arrested.

And look here --
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/bookrev.php --
down at the bottom of the page, for a few South African bonsai
books.

The Bonsai Clubs International site -- www.bonsai-bci.com -- has
a worldwide list of clubs. Find a club in your area and let the
members guide you to paces to find trees.

Here are a few South African links or info I found through Google
(South Africa AND bonsai) :

In the city of George (wherever that is) there is: Pygmy Bonsai
Nursery - This little treasure boasts a permanent display of
bonsai created to form a topographical landscape of the Garden
Route in perfect miniature of the different regions; the nursery
is worthwhile to visit just to see this little masterpiece.
Hours: Weekdays 09:00 - 17:30 except Thursdays) Weekends 10:00 -
15:30. The Pygmy Bonsai Nursery has been host for the George
Bonsai Club for the year 2000.

There appears to be no website.

Then, there's what appears to be another SA vendor:
http://users.iafrica.com/r/rt/rtsofafr/bonsai.html

Try this for the names of a few SA bonsaiests:
http://www.bonsai-wbff.org/rafrica.htm

Hope these help, and welcome to the sport of bonsai.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
Old 28-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Lee & Deb Miles

I have several nice natal figs growing here in Tasmania Australia, they make
fine bonsai with small upright leaves. Try looking in roadsides, old gardens
people are cleaning out and remodelling etc.

Good luck
Lee