Old 26-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Barb

Default [IBC] What kind of tree is this??

Back again with another question..
There are some wild trees growning around here that have about 2" long
thorns and leaves that look like maiden hair fern, my neighbor told me that
it is a "Maiden Hair Fern Hathorn" I thought they were just "trash" trees,
but this neighbor has one in his yard trimmed up like a Bonsai tree.. very
nice looking, about 7' tall.. Question, I can only find trees of this sort
that are about 3-7' tall, I can't remember if they are evergreen or not.. I
am wondering how much of the trunk I can cut off to make it into a real
Bonsai tree.. the trunk peels and the bark under it is rather a dark pinkish
red/orange color.. very interesting.. it blooms small white flowers in the
spring and bares small reddish orange berries in the fall..
Any help greatly appreciated, Oh, there is another type of tree around here
that also has the throns, but the leaves are roundish and do not look like
maiden hair fern. Same sort of white flowers, very sweet smelling, nad the
red berries in the fall, the birds love both kinds...
Thanks,
Barb

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Shelly Hurd

Me again,

I'm sure Jim is looking through his books as we speak, but . . .

I don't mean to be a PITA, but a sig line on your posts would really help.

Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

"Barb" wrote:
Back again with another question..
There are some wild trees growning around here SNIP

?????? where here?????

Old 26-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Jim

Barb wrote:

Back again with another question..

There are some wild trees growning around here that have about 2" long

thorns and leaves that look like maiden hair fern, my neighbor told me that

it is a "Maiden Hair Fern Hathorn"

It sounds like Crataegus marshallii with common names of sugar haw, red haw
or parsley leaf haw. This makes a nice bonsai, but they are difficult (for
me) to collect

Jim Harwood, Zone 7b

Central Arkansas

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

There are more different kinds of hawthorns than there are fleas
on a stray mutt, and only about 4 people in the U.S. would claim
to be able to tell 75% of them apart. Besides, Hawthorns
crossbreed so easily you can find intermediate forms that look
like neither parent. MY far-from-expert guess is that there
really are about half fewer species of haws in North America than
most "authorities" claim. Most tree books brush off the haws as
"confusing" and list only a few species -- none of which will (of
course) be growing in your neighborhood. ;-)

At any rate, haws are members of the rose family and deal quite
well with being cut back. They should backbud readily. At this
time of year, I would NOT dig them, but you can prune in situ to
your heart's content then dig them next spring, early.

Have fun with them.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Barb

Many thanks Jim, I found it, it is called "Parsley Harthorn"
lovely tree really, now If I cna just find some info about it..lol
Barb
Texas zone 9

Old 26-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Hi Jim,
Many thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated.... I am

very glad to
know they take kindly to pruning.. I would never thought they

were a part of
the rose family.. learn something new every day.
Are they evergreen or lose their leaves? Roses do not so I am

just
wondering..

Order Rosales is one of the largest groups of plants, it includes
all the Legumes as well as the roses and their kin -- including
hawthorns, crabapples, plums, and more than 100 other genera and
more then 3,000 species, worldwide.

Hawthorns are as far as _I_ know all deciduous.