Old 14-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Barb

Default [IBC] What kind of tree is this?

I found a new tree in my yard today and have no idea as to what it might
be.. as the leaves are smallish I am wondering if it would make a bonsai.
Every tree I see I now look at with that thought in mind. This one is about
12 - 15' tall, no thorns on it, but is not a very full tree, could be
because no pruning, it has just grown wild for years now where it is
growing.. the berries/seeds are a dark purplish blue and the leaves grow in
groupings of 2; 3-5 on one stem, from the bark I thought at first it was a
youpon, but the leaves are very thin and soft..
hope some one can help..
Barb in zone 9 North of Houston Texas

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Jim Lewis

I found a new tree in my yard today and have no idea as to what
it might
be.. as the leaves are smallish I am wondering if it would make

a bonsai.
Every tree I see I now look at with that thought in mind. This

one is about
12 - 15' tall, no thorns on it, but is not a very full tree,

could be
because no pruning, it has just grown wild for years now where

it is
growing.. the berries/seeds are a dark purplish blue and the

leaves grow in
groupings of 2; 3-5 on one stem, from the bark I thought at

first it was a
youpon, but the leaves are very thin and soft..
hope some one can help..
Barb in zone 9 North of Houston Texas

Are the leaves and branches growing opposite one another?
Are the leaves lobed, toothed, entire (un-toothed)?
Are they simple leaves, or compound?
Dark green? Top and bottom? Or dark on top, light underneath?
Glossy? Hairy?

How large are the berries? Do they grow in clumps? Singly? 2-3
together?

It world be SO much better if you could post a pic on the
gallery.

Or, go to the library and check out a couple of books on tree ID,
then search through the pictures 'till you find yours. The fact
that it is in your yard, probably indicates it could have come
from almost anywhere in the world, so you'll need a general book.
The Audubon books are good.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++