Old 30-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Trimming

a follow up on Billy M Rhodes' post. When I prune Ficus leaves, I
usually spray with water and that seems to stop the bleeding of the
sap.... I use mineral spirits to clean my tools as well as my hands,
which can become quite sticky during the pruning.

Best regards,

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

In a message dated 9/29/2003 5:11:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Can anyone verify exactly what kind of bonsai I have from my description?
(Sorry I don't have a pic).

It could be a Ficus nerifolia, or willow leaf fig. All Ficus (figs) have
white sap. The true rubber tree is a Ficus.

What's the best way to trim this type of bonsai?

Ficus nerifolia is very forgiving. Trim off what you don't like, it will

grow back.

Is the white sap normal?

Yes, as to the question about irritation. I wouldn't rub it in my
eyes and it is the devil to get off of skin or out of hair. But I have never
found it irritating.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-09-2003, 04:09 AM
Pipo

Actually, you can stop the "white bleeding" with a very hot knife blade.
This is useful when cutting large branches. But don't worry about it.
Pipo

--

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++