Old 01-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Nandina Domestica - Sacred/heavenly Bamboo

MY THANKS TO LYNN FROM OREGON FOR SUCH A COMPREHENSIVE REPLY TO
MY
ORIGINAL QUESTION.

I AM PRIMARILY CONCERNED WITH PRUNING, IN THAT I UNDERSTAND

TRUE
BAMBOO'S MAY BE PRUNED BACK TO SOIL LEVEL IN EARLY SPRING AND

WILL
RE-SHOOT NATURALLY. I AM SOMEWHAT CONCERNED THAT AS THE NANDINA

IS NOT
A TRUE BAMBOO (BEING MORE CLOSELY RELATED TO THE BERBERIS) SUCH

'HARD'
PRUNING MAY CAUSE CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE.

THE QUESTION THEREFORE IS - CAN I PRUNE A NANDINA BACK TO SOIL

LEVEL
AND, IF NOT, HOW SHOULD I PRUNE IT?

E-mail is easier to read (and more polite) if it's not all in
CAPS, which is considered to be SHOUTING.

That said, you CAN cut Nandina to the ground. It will sprout up
again. I don't know quite why you would want to do so, however.
If it gets too tall, simply cut it back a little shorter than you
want it and a new top (or, sometimes, tops) will grow at the site
of the cut.

When you cut bamboo to the ground you are in essence Mowing it,
since bamboos are related to the grasses.

Nandina make very nice, graceful bonsai.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++