Old 01-10-2003, 04:30 PM
Registered User

Location: ESSEX
Question Nardina Domestica - Sacred Bamboo

I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A NICE SPECIMEN OF THE ABOVE BONSAI AND WOULD APPRECIATE SOME ADVICE ABOUT PRUNING OPTIONS. CAN THE SACRED BAMBOO BE PRUNED TO PROMOTE NEW GROWTH? IF SO, HOW HARD AND WHEN? (I LIVE IN ESSEX, SOUTH EAST UK).
MANY THANKS.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] Nardina Domestica - Sacred Bamboo

From Josie

I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A NICE SPECIMEN OF THE ABOVE BONSAI AND WOULD
APPRECIATE SOME ADVICE ABOUT PRUNING OPTIONS. CAN THE SACRED BAMBOO BE
PRUNED TO PROMOTE NEW GROWTH? IF SO, HOW HARD AND WHEN? (I LIVE IN
ESSEX, SOUTH EAST UK).

-------------------

Josie,
Your Nandina, which is called Heavenly Bamboo here and in the garden
books I have, should do well in your area with reasonable protection if
the frost gets heavy and lasts long. I lived in UK in your general area
for 3 years and had Nandina in the garden. In a bonsai pot it would need
more consideration for any harsh weather; nevertheless, it is an outdoor
plant that you may want to protect from "drowning" rains too. My method is
to put a clear plastic bag over it - leaving some space open at the bottom,
or setting it under a protective shrub. Pruning I usually do only in the
spring when I cut off at the base those pesky new starts that won't improve
the looks of the bonsai. Sometimes I snip a straggly branch at the top.
My experience with fertilizing the plant was to be very conservative as it
responded with too much, too lengthy growth. It does like warmth and some
sun, but does well in some shade, so protect it from any very hot sun
(which I do not recall experiencing there
Heavenly or sacred bamboo titles were given because of the asian use
in temple gardens, but according to my garden book it was also used in
secular gardens.
I think it is a lovely, graceful bonsai; I have two to enjoy. Best
of luck with yours.

Lynn
Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Nandina domestica/Sacred Bamboo...dead or not??? laurap74 Bamboo 1 10-04-2012 03:06 PM
Sacred Bamboo jones Australia 9 30-11-2008 01:07 PM
[IBC] Nandina Domestica - Sacred/heavenly Bamboo Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 01-10-2003 11:13 PM
Nandina Domestica - Sacred/heavenly Bamboo josie112 Bonsai 0 01-10-2003 08:38 PM
[IBC] sacred bambo care Andy Mogg Bonsai 7 15-09-2003 04:42 PM