Old 12-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Maimi Show

To compete with Susan on one list and no one on the other. I just returned
from South Florida where I attended the Miami Bonsai Society's show at
Fairchild Tropical Gardens.
I didn't stay long, the trip also included some time with our daughter's
family (two grandsons).
They were raffling a large Ficus Petroialis (sp) with a caudex the size of a
large grapefruit. One seller had some Adenium from seed. That was about it
for "fat plants."
The best of show was a Neea buxifolia that is only about 12 inches high but
has a very fat trunk. These develop trunks slowly, are very tropical and
native I believe to Puerto Rico. They have small leaves and yellow flowers. I
think it is the same plant I have seen at Mary Madison's home
Fairchild doesn't have a Bonsai collection as far as I know. They do have a
lot of tropical plants and trees including Adenium and other fatties (a giant
Baobab)
The gardens are $10 per person and that includes a tram tour.
If you are in South Florida they are worth a look.
They are on Old Cutler Rd. in Coral Gables a few miles south of down town
Miami and not far off US1.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++