Old 16-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Robert Seele

Default [IBC] Another "art" debate?

If bonsai is not art, and a bottle of urine, or other objects even
more disgusting, is art, then I'm glad bonsai is not
art........................

Bob Seele

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

General Response.
Good Day to All,

You need to substitute the word - Beauty - for
Art in order to understand what Bonsai/Tree Penjing
is.

Unfortunately Beauty also encompasses,the ugly,the
grotesque or the horrible.
[I have a commercially glazed cobalt blue cascade
pot that expresses the above very well.It's so ugly
that I tied it to the highest point in my garden to
remind me that the Ugly at it highest form also has
visual [ negative ] appeal,and.... it's good to prevent
bad eye as we say - maljoe - people who would
blight your trees with eyes that stunt growth - chuckle.

We also have those with bad hand - they pick your
fruit and the tree becomes barren.Restored only by a
pregnant woman driving a nail into the tree.].

Shock Art is a sad and miserable attempt at notoriety.
It's as permanent as sand castles on the beach at
high tide.
It had it's greatest effect or heyday back when the
world was essentially Academic as Art went.Order
versus extreme dis-order.
It's boring today,but there is always some clever
wannabe wanting to try it.Chestnuts as they come.Yawn.

As I actively and brutally remove all the trees from my
collection that will never be anything [ which is the great
majority]I have come to realise that in 10 years none of the
ones that were more successful will be anything like what
they are today and I risk these also falling out of step.

Hmm,learning to deal with impermanence,not only with
trees but with myself,family and other situations.It's not
easy.

I don't think I would want to try to make a name for myself
with trees.Here today,gone tomorrow.That's a lot of pressure
to put on your soul.
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean]

If bonsai is not art, and a bottle of urine, or other objects even
more disgusting, is art, then I'm glad bonsai is not

Bob Seele

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++