Old 17-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Epsom salts and superthrive

HI I use it since 15 years regularly and all seems ok
I read also negative comments .. but how can we judge at home as all plants and
soils are different

That's just it; our bonsai are too precious to do controlled experiments, where some plants receive a treatment, and others don't. With Superthrive it's more complicated, because it contains fertilizer as well as hormones and weird stuff. To truly test i
t, one would have to make sure all the plants were receiving the same amount of fertilizer. A friend of mine at Cornell Extension was asked by the "Roots2" people to run tests on the product, and he asked them to supply him with a "blank" of inert ingredi
ents and a breakdown of the fertilizer. They refused, saying they weren't interested in that kind of experiment, so he was not able to do anything. He said he fel;t they were marketing at "Hamptonites" who valued their hedges and could afford the product
without worrying too much whether it worked or not.

As for epsom salts, just don't overdose the plants. I'm going to have to do a controlled experiment on it and how it causes the glaucous bloom on foliage. I see it, but I can't figure out out the mechanism. I haven't read anywhere that magnesium has a
nything to do with cuticle formation.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Theo

Nina Shishkoff wrote:
Hi Nina
what are these Epsom salts made of ?

I use Supertrive as I said since 15 years .. on 3 pentaphilla and
they have a wonderful mcoirrihyze in a very short time , it even gets
out of the drainig holes .. but do not grow more than their nature nor
teh needle off shape ( especially one that does not care what O do teh
needle are always teh same since 22 years ( a Kokonoe) only another
one is an odd number just on the apex.. 6" growth in one season ..
but I wanted to make alitterati so.. it did not matter .
The maples Deshojo, Palmatums and B urger grow great.. they came
out of control with fertilizer ....... But Superthirve is not a
fertilizer it helps assimilation of it ( if it does) and that's all ..
but what would we not do do for our beloved ones and try to make
them grow healthy and wise ( not off shape)?G
For chlorose I use a special powder to dilute in water is
Sequestrene or a liquid distilled from pine bark that is mixed in water
and gives excellent results ...plus tea for acidophiles to correct the
calcar water
Theo

Anita Hawkins wrote:

Justin Diaz wrote:

Speaking of fertilizers and trace elements and the like, (i realize
they're all different), what are some thoughts about Superthrive? I've
heard some outrageous claims, should i believe the hype?

No. But the hype alone is worth the price of a bottle (a 2-ouncer, at
least)! For those unacquainted with the hyperbole of an ST label, you
can find images (and more fun with the outrageous claims) at:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3600.html

I have to agree with the author of the above:
"I am told that by using this product, plants grow bigger each year.
Well, so do mine and I don't use it. "

Thrive superbly, all,
Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
Go forth under the open sky, and list
To Nature's teachings.
- William Cullen Bryant

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Roses and epsom salts? Kayla Gardening 7 29-05-2005 02:54 AM
[IBC] Epsom salts Samuel Gomez Bonsai 13 20-10-2003 08:12 AM
[IBC] Superthrive (was [IBC] Epsom salts Anita Hawkins Bonsai 0 17-10-2003 05:42 PM
How much epsom salts for a sick pumpkin? Ednews United Kingdom 12 29-05-2003 05:24 AM
Epsom Salts??? Abra Myers Orchids 5 13-02-2003 07:25 AM