Old 21-10-2003, 03:22 AM

Default [IBC] Kingsville Boxwood

In a message dated 10/20/03 5:27:48 PM, IASNOB writes:
Healthy Kingsville are remarkably hardy--especially if they originate from
a group that has undergone 50 winters. );-)

But why bother, since it does not need dormancy, just a little cooling down
in the fall? If you bring it indoors in September or October, you have that
much more of a growing season. I have had mine that way for ten years, and no
complaints.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Craig Cowing

John O wrote:

I have attempted twice to grow Kingsville boxwood as bonsai. Each time
the plant seems to be thriving for about ~6 months and then suddenly
begins to die off, a section at a time. It turn brown and once it
begins to decline there is seemingly, no way to reverse the decline. I
have assumed it might be a fungal infection and treated the plants
with merit fungicide. There does not seem to any insect damage or root
damage.We are located a half block from the ocean, but others have
grown them successfully here. What's the solution short of giving it
up a loss cause?

Depends on several things:
1) where do you live?
2) where do you keep the tree? Does it stay outdoors all year or come in for the
winter?
3) What time of year does the trouble begin?
4) Can the problem be that they are not receiving enough light, or too much water?

I have several kingsvilles in southern NY state that stay outside until about
Thanksgiving time. I keep them in 3/4 shade. When I bring them in they go under
fluorescent lights, very close to the light. They do quite well that way. Iris
Cohen has been doing the same with her kingsville for a number of years with
similar success to mine. That's where I got the encouragement to bring them in for
the winter since they're not hardy here.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Kingsville (Was: [IBC] The Need to Feed (Was [IBC] Shimpaku Juniper) Michael Persiano Bonsai 2 31-08-2004 06:05 PM
Kingsville Boxwood John O Bonsai 2 26-07-2004 02:02 AM
[IBC] Kingsville Boxwood and Japanese Black Pine in Winter Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 6 21-10-2003 03:12 AM
[IBC] spots on boxwood (was leaf borer on kingsville boxwood) Sam Williams Bonsai 0 30-04-2003 01:08 AM
[IBC] Kingsville Boxwood care Sam Williams Bonsai 5 08-03-2003 08:23 PM