Old 08-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Invasive exotics

This is mostly for IBCers along the warm-weather Gulf of Mexico
and Atlantic coasts:

The Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council (www.fleppc.org) has just
issued an update to its list of dangerous exotic invasive plants.
There are several plants we use for bonsai on its Category I
list. Category I plants are those which: "are altering native
plant communities by displacing native species, changing
community structures or ecological functions, or hybridizing with
natives."

Bonsai species (including occasionals) on the list include (*
indicates tropical):

Albezia julibrissin (Mimosa),
A. lebbeck (woman's tongue)
Bauhinia vriegata (orchid tree)*
Casuarina equestifolia (Australian pine)
C. glauca (suckering Australian pine)*
Cinnamomum camphora (camphor tree)
Eugenia uniflora (Surinam cherry)*
Ficus microcarpa (laurel fig)* (AKA F. nitida and F. retusa)
Jasminum dichotum (Gold Coast jasmine)*
J. fluminesce (Brazilian jasmine)*
Lantana camera (shrub verbena)
Ligustrum lucidum (glossy privet)
L. sinensis (Chinese or hedge privet)
Lonciera japonica (Japanese honeysuckle)
Melaleuca quinquenervia ((paper bark)*
Mimosa pigra (catclaw mimosa) *(borderline)
Nandina domestica (heavenly bamboo)
Psidium guajava (guava) *(borderline)
P. cattleianum (strawberry guava)
Sapium sebiferum (Chinese tallow/popcorn tree)
Schefflera actinophylla (Queensland umbrella tree) (AKA Brassia
actinophylla) *
Schinus terebinthifolius (Brazilian pepper)*
Thespesia populnea (seaside mahoe)*

This is just a FYI for warm-weather growers. If you try one of
these and don't like them for bonsai, do NOT feel sorry for them
and plant them in your yard. If, as a bonsai, they go to seed,
collect the seeds and at least put in the trash (garbage disposal
would be better).

You folks who grow tropicals up where it freezes a lot, grow
away. ;-)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++