Old 08-11-2003, 01:12 AM
drdoody

Default New to bonsai

Basically, I'm looking for tips on growing Japanese juniper, which
seem to be in abundance in local nurseries. I just started with my
first bonsai about one month ago and I enjoyed it. Naturally, I'm
looking for a way to expand both my collection and my skill.

I do not, however, want to be influenced by other people's
interpretation of asthetics. My appreciation of bonsai is mine and
mine alone and I would hate to have it "modified" by others' concept
of beauty. I want to develop my own style. Of course, while the
asthetic apearance of a bonsai is subjective, survival is not. Tips on
the latter will be appreciated.

I want to branch (the pun was unavoidable) out into maple bonsai
eventually. Is this more difficult than juniper? If so, some tips wold
be valuable as I do not wish to kill any more trees than absolutely
necessary.

Doc
Old 08-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Shelly Hurd

Hi Doc.

Welcome to the list. No worries, we do bonsai for ourselves, but you'll
need to understand that as you learn, you will learn that there are reasons
for rules, and reasons for going around them.

In order to answer even your most basic question (how to keep your juniper
alive) you need to give us a bit more info. Where in the world are you?
Northern or Southern hemisphere? Nearest big town?

For now, I'll only go this far. If there are rocks glued to the top of your
juniper, they've gotta go! Now. And put the juniper outside (unless of
course it's freezing or below tonight wherever in the world you are) See
the difficulty in answering without more input on your part.

Others will help, I'm sure. Welcome.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9