Old 10-11-2003, 10:13 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Cold in the northeast!

Yow! Cold last night, in fact several areas in NE had record lows last
night.
When I got up to take the dogs out at 7:30 it was 20 degrees F. out. I don't
know how cold it got before sun came up. A little too cold considering how
gorgeous it was out a week ago!
Ice on the pond. Any leaves left on trees are now "freeze dried".
I'm glad Bill V. passed on the reminder about water items. ( I got my water
table drained and covered a couple days ago.
This ought to play havoc with imported Chinese elms still sitting out.
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Yow! Cold last night, in fact several areas in NE had record
lows last
night.
When I got up to take the dogs out at 7:30 it was 20 degrees F.

out. I don't
know how cold it got before sun came up.

Ackshurlly, it usually is coldest a few minutes AFTER sunrise.
I'm sure there's a scientific explanation (and I may actually
have heard it at one time) but I don't know (or remember) it.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who was a
bit chilly himself at 52 degrees F this morning. ;-)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 10-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Craig Cowing

dalecochoy wrote:

Yow! Cold last night, in fact several areas in NE had record lows last
night.
When I got up to take the dogs out at 7:30 it was 20 degrees F. out. I don't
know how cold it got before sun came up. A little too cold considering how
gorgeous it was out a week ago!

We had the same in Orange County, NY, just 1.5 hours NW of the big city.

Ice on the pond. Any leaves left on trees are now "freeze dried".
I'm glad Bill V. passed on the reminder about water items. ( I got my water
table drained and covered a couple days ago.
This ought to play havoc with imported Chinese elms still sitting out.
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio

I've already started putting my trees away for the winter. A little earlier than
usual here, but it's got to be done sometime.

Mine all got the freeze-dried treatment as Bill recommended. Now they're set for
the winter.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-11-2003, 12:02 AM
dalecochoy

Old 12-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Roger Snipes

Its been cold in the Northwest, but warming back up now. An unusual cold
snap that saw the nighttime lows drop into the low twenties, and even into
the low teens for a couple of weeks. It has been back to more seasonal
normal temps for the last week or so, with highs in the 40's and lows in the
30's to high 20's. This all forced me to put my trees in their winter
quarters about a month early.

A better situation than last year, though. Early last October we had a
similar unusual cold snap that dropped the overnight low down to 19 degrees.
This after a warm early fall that hadn't even had a frost yet.
Unfortunately I was out of town that week end, so everything was sitting out
on the benches. Most survived, even imported Chinese elm and Satsuki, but
some of the smaller stuff was damaged or killed. It pays to be on the
alert, and have your weather crystal ball handy at all times.

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

dalecochoy wrote:

[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Cold, Cold, Cold Dave Hill United Kingdom 18 12-12-2010 01:29 PM
[IBC] Japanese Maple in the northeast Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 7 26-08-2004 11:46 PM
[IBC] cold cold in the north Andre Slivitzly Bonsai 0 15-01-2004 02:32 PM
Northeast WI Orchid Show Karen Orchids 1 01-03-2003 05:15 AM
blizzard in the northeast USA Joe Zorzin alt.forestry 3 19-02-2003 08:34 AM