Old 21-11-2003, 05:03 AM
Dave

Default Protecting my plants for the winter.

I live in Sunset zone 43. Pretty cold here.

My question is basically this:

When storing my trees for the winter, will I need to provide them with
sunlight as well? They will be dormant and not growing, but do they
need to see daily sun?

The winters get pretty damn cold round here, and up until mid-late dec
im sure I can keep them in the greenhouse or something. After that,
till march, its pretty damn cold, and I'm not sure if the little
greenhouse will keep them from damage. I was thinking of covering
them in a shelter with a blanket or something in the garage during
these periods, but of course they wont see any light.

Please advise,

Dave
Old 21-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Tamarix

Hi,

Evergreen trees will need sunlight whereas deciduous won't (as soon as
leaves are gone)

Franck

m...

Old 21-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Theo

HI it depends how many bonsai you have , I am in a zone 7 Swiss alps so
can be pretty cold sometimes and in a rush I use bubble plastic,
I cut the sheet un large tripes 10-12 " wide that I fasten like a
tourban 1-2-3 x around the pot
I can water from above and leave drain free for leaking
you can wroap teh pot and bonsai like bouquet with the same
wrapping light pass trough and the cold will be dimmed a little bit

Theo