Old 30-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm...Indoor or outdoor?

Good Day to All,

Mike,

these elms are easily propagated by root cuttings.

I would suggest that you start off a few and see
if they can live through an English year.

My stock is from South China through Red Sun Bonsai and
have lived in the Tropics since 1992 or so.All are happy
and have multiplied.Full sun to light shade makes no
difference.

They do not however like strong dry winds.
Good luck with the "Ficus" of the Sub-Tropicals/Tender
Temperates.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Somewhere in the West Indies/Caribbean.
Winds are now cool and Christmassy.
Jungle drums,Jungle
drums,Jungle all the way
[sings like Jingle,well you know what -chuckle.]

Old 30-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Kitsune Miko

Mike,

I don't know what the climate is like where you live, but I know it is always a controversy about indoor/outdoor bonsai.

All plants do better with the natural cycle of light and dark, warm and cool. WIth indoor bonsai, one should try to duplicate these conditions as best as possible. On a table with artificial light and no change from day to night temperatures is not what
the tree requires.

Elms are supposed to be decicious trees. Here in California they have a very short dormancy. This is because we don't stay cool or cold long enough. I think if kept indoors, they might not go dormant. Most elms that I know of require this cycle of dor
mancy to thrive. Think of yourself without any sleep. Do place the tree out of doors when your weather permits.

Enjoy, but be mindful of what the trees need.

Kitsune Miko

Mike wrote:
Hi everyone. I have 2 or 3 bonsai but I have never had a Chinese elm before
and so decided to get one. The one I bought seems to be very healthy and was
purchased from a reparable bonsai nursery. Anyway what I need to know is
this an indoor or outdoor bonsai. I live in England and at the store it was
labelled as an indoor bonsai and was kept indoors but I would like to hear
your experiences with these trees. Also as I understand it supposed indoor
trees are best left outdoors in the summer.

Thanks in advance.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++