Old 02-12-2003, 11:22 PM
Colin Horn

Default [IBC] pinus bungeana

Does the pinus bungeana (Lace Bark Pine) make good bonsai? I found one at my
local nurserey, and it looks like it has great potential for being slanted
or windswept. Would these styles be seen in nature with this species? Thanks
-Colin Horn Orinda, CA

Say “goodbye” to busy signals and slow downloads with a high-speed Internet
connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Does the pinus bungeana (Lace Bark Pine) make good bonsai? I
found one at my
local nurserey, and it looks like it has great potential for

being slanted
or windswept. Would these styles be seen in nature with this

species? Thanks
-Colin Horn Orinda, CA

I've never seen one, but from the description -- including short
needles -- it sounds like it would be worth a try.

Dirr, incidentally, recommends it highly as a landscape accent
tree.

When you buy it, please post a picture to the gallery. Then keep
us posted.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-12-2003, 12:25 AM
kevin bailey

I was attracted to this species from the descriptions but have found it
to be extremely slow growing, the slowest of any pine species I've tried
and I've tried a lot. Growing in the ground I get only a little growth -
1/2" every year. Maybe I'm missing something?

When grown well, it's supposed to have the most attractive bark of any
Pine species.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-12-2003, 01:14 AM
Jerry Meislik

Kev,
My Pinus bungeanas did not grow that slowly but most specimens that I had
were grafts on some other pine roots.
The bark is knock-out. They tend to grow multi-stemmed in the ground.
I did find that they would break back on some older wood when they are
happy.
Sorry not to have any specific ideas on how to speed it up.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 03-12-2003, 01:14 AM
David J. Bockman

This is a gorgeous tree, with attractive mottled bark in a unique
'camouflage' pattern. When juvenile, the mottled appearance is stark white,
greys and greens, and black. This gradually changes to all mottled greens
and blacks as the tree ages.

Usually, bungeana grow in multitrunked fashion, a natural yosue-e style.
There are some amazing specimens on the grounds of the National Arboretum.

I ordered 200 seedlings from a pacific northwest grower last year, however
they arrived covered in grey mold and they all perished. I'll try again next
year.

There is a cultivar called 'Compacta' which I have never seen. Dirr states:
"More compact uniform habit than the species, produces the wonderful
exfoliating bark, grows about one-half the rate of the species."

Don't expect the mottled bark until the caliper gets above an inch or so.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

Does the pinus bungeana (Lace Bark Pine) make good bonsai? I
found one at my
local nurserey, and it looks like it has great potential for being slanted
or windswept. Would these styles be seen in nature with this
species? Thanks

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Pinus bungeana David J. Bockman Bonsai 0 06-12-2003 07:38 PM
[IBC] Pinus thunbergii 'Mikawa' David J. Bockman Bonsai 2 06-12-2003 03:32 PM
[IBC] styling this pinus bungeana Colin Horn Bonsai 0 06-12-2003 01:13 AM
[IBC] pinus bungeana Colin Horn Bonsai 3 05-12-2003 02:09 PM
[IBC] pinus strobus backbudding!! Craig Cowing Bonsai 8 29-05-2003 05:22 AM