Old 29-12-2003, 12:43 AM
Steve wachs

Default [IBC] COCONUT COMPOST

Has anyone ever heard of Coconut Compost? and is it sold anywhere commercially? It is supposed to be a good medium for propagating Maple cuttings.

SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Good Day to All,

There is a product called - Cocopeat - www.jayampathi.com
out of Sri Lanka.[Premium Coir - an alternative to peat.]

Suggested as - Hydroponic Growing Medium

However I did add it into my mix in place of peatmoss[due
primarily to another member's request that we ease up on
the use of Canadian peat moss.]

It has tremendous water retaining capacity.

I used approximately 1/3 to 1/4 in my mix of [sifted all],
crushed red brick from hollow clay building block,silica based
gravel and [replacing some of the ]home made compost.
It was a bit too much.I had to decrease the watering.

When I begin to re-pot next week,I will let the group know
if the -cocopeat- survived the exposure to the roots,compost
and added fertiliser [Blaucom-German] as granules.

Additionally,coconut husks are rich in potassium and sodium
for those interested in making glazes from the ash of the husk.

This cocopeat seems to be the ground up insides of the coconut
,possibly husk ??,and the fibres.
Not sure how to describe this,as in our slack dialect type English
the coconut is simply husk,inner nut shell and the meat.
So if someone says they husked the coconut,they meant that they
have removed the nut.

It's a lovely cool day,thus far 70 deg.f [ 21 deg.C] is our low,
but we are hitting this temperature every night.
Stay well.
Khaimraj
West Indies/Caribbean

coconut ? JennyC United Kingdom 3 07-05-2003 08:56 AM
coconut coir fiber; opinions? Pamela Claus Orchids 3 07-04-2003 06:44 PM
coconut ramses Plant Biology 0 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
coconut ramses Plant Biology 0 27-03-2003 02:20 PM
Coconut fiber Lee Brouillet Ponds 10 28-02-2003 07:52 PM