Old 31-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Marty Haber

Default [IBC] Forest pot

I think you mean a forest tray or slab. Perhaps the cheapest source would
be a flat rock If you in an area where such rocks can be found, you may be
in luck. Look for one which has smooth edges, is not too thick, and, if you
are fortunate, one which is slightly hollow in the center. If such a slab
is not available, look for a local tree removal company. They often have
big old logs lying around. If you catch them in the right mood, they might
even cut you a cross-section about an inch thick. If so, take it home, sand
it smooth, stain it a dark color, and apply a waterproof finish.
If you're looking for a ceramic tray, you won't find cheap ones -
especially if it's to be a large one. A 24" tray might start at $100 and go
up from there.
Marty

Old 31-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Harry L Abel

hi robbie,
if indeed this IS your first forest and IS a raft style, dont wory about the
container. in the archives you can find construction details to build a
large, shallow training box. yring to cram a new raft into a forest pot may result
in very small firewood.
harry

Harry Abel/Shinkigen...
www.shinkigen.com
psalm150
rock and roll

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 01-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Hello - I am not sure if this is the apporprate place to post
this,
but I am in search of a forest pot thats cheap. This is my

first
forest planting, and I'm not sure how well it will do. Its

actually a
raft style planting with a juniper compressa.

If this isn't the appropriate place, I don't know what is.

Go he
http://www.btinternet.com/~colinlewi...ng/Cement.html

For an excellent, detailed (with diagrams) how-to-build-your-own
slab by bonsai guru, teacher, and occasional IBCer, Colin Lewis
(NO relation!). This is as cheap and you can go (short of
finding a useful stone slab -- which isn't easy).

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - There is
some EXCELLENT reading on Colin's website, BTW. It is one of the
best!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] New NABF Newsletter on Regional Bonsai in Canada [Was: (IBC) Collecting in National Forest Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 12-03-2004 04:41 PM
silver birch in a pot in a pot Sue United Kingdom 12 04-02-2004 07:43 AM
Forest pot Robbie Bonsai 0 31-12-2003 03:06 PM
Forest pot Robbie Bonsai 0 31-12-2003 02:34 PM