Old 07-01-2004, 05:30 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] Black Pine in the true Tropics

Good Day to All,

Well,just repotted my from Japanese seed,Black Pine,
of about 14 years or so.It's in 75 to 80% sand,the rest
is simple compost.The pot is a porous earthenware pot
about 14x6"[35.5 x 15 cm],really low fired say 850deg.c
max about cone 015 orton small cone.

This is the second real re-potting after 3 years.There was
so much root,that the tree had opened the pot by 1"[2.5cm].
Removal of soil was less than 1/3.
What was left,was sifted and only powder with very fine quartz
sand came through the sieve with the smallest holes[say flour
sifting size].
On the top of the screen was just sharp sand.

There are some really nice roots on the surface,and training
will now be a good deal more aggressive,since the tree has
a core.Placement has always been full sun,with plenty of water
[hence the porous pot]and blaucom fertiliser.
Trunk is still small about 1.5",but I have been very cautious with
this tree,only allowing a single trunk extension.

I trust there will no more doubts from the seated members about
Black Pines [ or Maples] growing in the True Tropics,and[ not
areas located near the gulf stream,with chances of frost] - chuckle.

Now I have to learn all those needle shortening,densifying techniques
Should be fun.

ASIDE - The shredded coconut stuff breaks down in one year,into
a fine,black powder.Let's see if the mame' can use it.

As the re-potting continues.I have done my quota for this week,and
all the cool,bright spots are filled,so Sunday is the next day for replacing
into the sun and more victims will be chosen.
Have a great day.
Khaimraj of the West Indian Islands.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++