Old 07-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Tim Ahlen

Default [IBC] Black Pine about 700 mile north of the true Tropics

Greetings All,

Thanks to Khaimraj for his encouraging note on black pines in the true
tropics.

I started a thread on the gallery awhile ago that reflected my frustration
as well as my tenacity at trying to keep JBP bonsais alive in the Dallas, TX
area (Zone 8b). Several tried to encourage me to keep trying. Ernie Kuo,
based on his knowledge of the area and the experience of other Dallas
enthusiasts with JBP, encouraged me to try other species. That kind of
encouragement should be (and is!) taken very seriously.

Still, I look around the landscape in Dallas and I see JBP's thriving in
Dallas' heavy, alkaline black clay soil and everything else that goes along
with the environment here. Could one of the primary factors that lead
enthusiasts in tropical or other warm climates to despair over JBP's be that
summer temperatures cook the roots in unshaded/unprotected pots?

For the last two years I have buried two black pines in the ground in their
growing pots during the spring and summer. One of them is an older tree,
about 3 inches in diameter; the other is one purchased in a 1 gallon nursery
container and is about 1 inch in diameter. The holes were no wider than the
containers, but dug deep enough that I could put gravel in the bottom to
insure drainage. It seems that these two trees are my healthiest pines. In
fact they are the ones I've had the longest.

The most common result I have with JBP's is that they get a kind of worm
infestation in the new shoots in July and August and die-- from pine tip
moths or borers or something. Because there are healthy trees around,
planted in the ground or buried like the two mentioned above, I'm guessing
that my dead trees succumbed because of stress. Am I on the right track?

Blessings,

Tim Ahlen
Dallas, TX
Zone 8b

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Mile A Minute vine willshak Lawns 0 30-06-2010 04:53 AM
Mile End Nurseries Sacha United Kingdom 4 19-12-2005 05:30 PM
Toro Groundsmaster Tractor 72 inch Deck for sale Chicago area - $700 [email protected] Lawns 0 14-07-2005 07:24 PM
[IBC] Black Pine about 700 mile north of the true Tropics Tim Ahlen Bonsai 5 08-01-2004 11:42 PM
[IBC] Black Pine in the true Tropics Khaimraj Seepersad Bonsai 0 07-01-2004 05:30 PM