Old 13-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] Fw: Allergy (Eczema?) Relief

I find little relief from the skin on my knuckles drying, cracking & peeling
in large, unsightly, oozing patches (... I apologize for the graphic
detail...) after working on bonsai or on landscape plants even a short
while. I live with it, but my doctor and pharmacist both recommend for
treatment of the condition an externally applied steroid cream-- and the
pharmist recommends an anti-fungal cream, additionally. The after-the-fact
"doctoring" of disrupted skin with external creme application takes three
days to accomplish healing. Have others found a better solution--
hopefully preventative?

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Jim Lewis

I find little relief from the skin on my knuckles drying,
cracking & peeling
in large, unsightly, oozing patches (... I apologize for the

graphic
detail...) after working on bonsai or on landscape plants even

a short
while. I live with it, but my doctor and pharmacist both

recommend for
treatment of the condition an externally applied steroid

cream-- and the
pharmist recommends an anti-fungal cream, additionally. The

after-the-fact
"doctoring" of disrupted skin with external creme application

takes three
days to accomplish healing. Have others found a better

solution--
hopefully preventative?

1. Preventative: Those thin rubber gloves that doctors,
dentists, and almost anyone else who has to touch another human
being on a regular basis these days. They don't feel it, but
they're fairly puncture proof and they are like a second skin and
allow you to do everything you can do otherwise with bare hands.
You can buy a box of 100 for not much money.

2. Immediately after the fact: A potent anti-inflammatory skin
cream. Bag Balm or Udder Cream (both made for cow and goat teats
that get irritated) are excellent. I find that the Burt's Bees
hand salve (beeswax and something stinky) help hands that are
already irritated.

3. Regular dosing with an antihistamine may also help keep you
from getting such a severe reaction, but I suspect you've tried
that.

Old 13-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Craig Cowing

Chris Cochrane wrote:

I find little relief from the skin on my knuckles drying, cracking & peeling
in large, unsightly, oozing patches (... I apologize for the graphic
detail...) after working on bonsai or on landscape plants even a short
while. I live with it, but my doctor and pharmacist both recommend for
treatment of the condition an externally applied steroid cream-- and the
pharmist recommends an anti-fungal cream, additionally. The after-the-fact
"doctoring" of disrupted skin with external creme application takes three
days to accomplish healing. Have others found a better solution--
hopefully preventative?

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

Bag Balm works for me during the winter when it's very cold and my hands get really
dry and cracked. I also use it on rashes and minor cuts and it works pretty well.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 13-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Nina Shishkoff

1. Preventative: Those thin rubber gloves that doctors,
dentists, and almost anyone else who has to touch another human
being on a regular basis these days.

Yeah, even plant pathologists. But use nitrile, not latex, because long-term use of latex gloves can give you a latex allergy, which is worse than what you have now.

My condolences, Chris. I got swollen hands from handing squash vines; happily, I don't do that in my new job.

-Nina

PS- double D'oh! I never thought of fukein tea either. This person will have to identify the plant better.

Old 14-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Anton Nijhuis

Chris -- Yes I had a severe case myself, I religiously use 'Bag Balm'
two to three times per day depending on what I have scheduled for day.
My hands no longer crack and bleed. It is petroleum based but can be
washed off I never leave home without it!! $9 Cnd for 10 ounces last for
3 months if used every day. If you can not get it there let me know and
I will send some - just ask.

Anton

********
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 14-01-2004, 04:32 AM
Lynn Boyd

From: Chris Cochrane

I find little relief from the skin on my knuckles drying, cracking &

peeling
in large, unsightly, oozing patches (... I apologize for the graphic
detail...) after working on bonsai or on landscape plants even a short
while.

Chris,
Not an uncommon gardeners complaint and you can hear lots of ways
different people approach it that could work. I find the most comfortable
for me, advised by my doctor, was to rub a moisturizing cream, best known
is Eucerin, generously into my skin - I hate to work with gloves.
Moisturizing and an oil protect the skin naturally. It will certainly
hasten a cure, too, so after washing hands use it to continue a healthy
skin conditioning, or use it overnight. I use it under gloves, too, if it
is a job with junipers or similar scratchy foliage. Btw, Eucerin is not
one of those expensive big names, but a long known and appreciated product.
Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon USA
Zone 7-8

Old 14-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Bart Thomas

Chris.

You are on the right track.

While moisturizing creams help, the real problem is often not "dry skin" but
a side effect of a fungus or germ that loves the dry condition.

I raised this question on the ABS web a year or two ago, and got this info
from a doctor. I had raised the question about skin splitting when I was
wiring with heavy wire. It just seemed to"pop" under the pressure.

Old 16-01-2004, 01:38 AM
Chris Cochrane

What a great mail list! Thanks to all the folks who generously responded
re' my skin condition. You have offered more (and potentially more
effective!) alternatives to hand care than I had imagined were available.

The most unexpected response was from a bonsai entusiast that makes his own
"dynamite lavendar handlotion." He generously offered to send me some
halfway across the country. Thanks for that great offer. I need to develop
a renewable product for these battered hands.

How did bonsai enthusiasts from Florida to Canada learned about salves for
cow thingies? It appears that "Bag Balm" isn't available in Europe or Asia.
I found another praised product developed there, but also readily available
here.

I did LOTS of internet browsing after some surprising (to me) suggestions &
learned a bit which supported advice given in by IBCers.

The usually critical "eOpinions" site turned-out to list a series of
testamonials to "Bag Balm," unexpectedly in the product category "lip
gloss." This greasy stuff is used by many for a wide variety of uses
including diaper rashes, sunburn, & foot softening. An author facetiously
suggested it could be used along with duct tape for chainsaw accidents. The
country singer Shania Twain uses it as part of her skin care regimen. I
wondered if cows EVER get it as a treatment; then, I found an livestock
products vendor sells it in 4 1/2 pound pails. Since CraigC & more than one
physician read the list, I better add that it is not advised medically or
spiritually for human healings by the FDA.

No other product has quite the zealous following of "Bag Balm," but
Neutrogena Handcream "formulated for use by Norwegian fishermen" comes
close. A respondent to my handcare crisis noted her husband (a carpenter)
uses Udder Cream, Bag Balm and Cornhuskers. I found Cornhuskers lotion
(like Neutrogena Handcream) primarily relies on glycerin, and it is VERY
reasonable. Udder creams abound, but the Udderly Smooth cream product seems
most widely advertised & found even in my local Walmart-- unlike Bag Balm...
:-(. Utterly Smooth is water-based and does not stain fabrics; thus, it is
the choice of knitters & cross-stitchers for moisturizing-- in case you are
bonsai-ing seamstress... :-). A local saddlery store had "Udder Delight"
cream that dutifully described its use for livestock, but its ingredients
suggest a salon item and it was priced accordingly... :-(
..
Nurses wash their hands constantly, and I guess the drying action causes
similar problems to working in soil. One warned to not mix handlotion oils
with wearing latex gloves because the latex breaks down (you don't lubricate
condoms with oil for a similar reason). If latex breaks-down on oiled skin
you risk a dangerous latex allergy. Nina's suggested disposable nitrile
gloves seem a good answer. Nitrile gloves of 3 mils have superior tensile
strength and puncture resistance to 5 mil latex or PVC gloves.

My doctor thinks Eucerin cream improves skin dryness including severe
dryness of hands. I find that Eucerine cream has little, if any, effect.

I hope one of these suggestions works. Thanks for many responses on and off
the list.

Very best wishes,

Old 16-01-2004, 07:12 AM
Theo

Hi Why don't you try Aloes Barbadensis Miller
Theo

.
[...]

S.O.S.Bonsai Un rapido ed efficace aiuto online contatta:
or or ICQ 25 666 169 4
my bonsais:
http://groups.msn.com/BonsaiItalia/i...nw?albumlist=2
Membro di : Internet Bonsai Society. I.B.S USA; Federazione Francese dei
Bonsai F.F.B Ecole Européenne Bonsai France, E.E.B.F ;Federation
Romanda Bonsai et Jardinage(F.R.J.B)