Old 20-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] american or korean hornbeam

I have been looking at hornbeams and can not decide which one
to purchase.
Either American or Korean. I live in charlotte which is zone

7b. I'm going to
buy them from evergreen gardenworks. Any comments would be

appreciated.

The "Korean" hornbeam, is it listed as C. coreana or C.
turczinowii?

If those last two are not synonyms (and I don't _think_ they
are), I don't know C. t., but have a C. coreana and several C.
caroliniana, all shohin size. Leaves of the American hornbeam
are larger. Bark seems to be smoother, and gets that ropy
muscular look with ease. I find it harder to develop
ramification on the Am. hornbeam than on C. coreana. But it also
is more difficult to get a thick, tapered trunk on C. coreana.
Neither grows particularly fast. Both get a rusty red fall
color.

I haven't really noticed any pests (other than the occasional
caterpillar) on either.

I'd rely on Brent's descriptions. He carries all three species,
and touts C. coreana as "the best."

I've done some pre-collecting work on a large American hornbeam
out in my woods. It has a 6-inch diameter base. Haven't gotten
up the nerve to actually dig it yet, as I have heard that
collecting large C. caroliniana is an iffy proposition. Small
1-2 inchers dig readily.

In Charlotte, you should be able to find somewhere to dig up a C.
caroliniana that already is acclimatized to your area.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 20-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Bart Thomas

I have been looking at hornbeams and can not decide which one to purchase.
Either American or Korean. I live in charlotte which is zone 7b. I'm going

buy them from evergreen gardenworks. Any comments would be appreciated.

You should talk to the Torppas at the Growing Grounds in Charlotte about the
relative merits.

Their website is:

http://www.thegrowinggrounds.com/index.htm

Old 20-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Luke Tulkas

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
I have been looking at hornbeams and can not decide which one

to purchase.
Either American or Korean. I live in charlotte which is zone

7b. I'm going to
buy them from evergreen gardenworks. Any comments would be

appreciated.

The "Korean" hornbeam, is it listed as C. coreana or C.
turczinowii?

I think the correct spelling is Carpinus turczaninovii, after botanist
M.S. Turczaninov.

Old 20-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 1/19/2004 8:34:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
I have been looking at hornbeams and can not decide which one to purchase.
Either American or Korean. I live in charlotte which is zone 7b. I'm going to
buy them from evergreen gardenworks. Any comments would be appreciated.
In my opinion, the Korean Hornbeam is a superior specimen for bonsai culture.
Its leaves are quite desirable in size, and if the proper techniques are
used, you can develop outstanding ramification.

See
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/Koreanhornbeamwinter.html for an image of
one of my trees. This collected specimen has been under design work for 15
years.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

Old 20-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 1/20/2004 6:20:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

http://members.aol.com/iasnob/Koreanhornbeamwinter.html

Michael

Is your Black Pine book out? Are you selling autographed copies?

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

Old 20-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Michael Persiano

writes:

http://members.aol.com/iasnob/Koreanhornbeamwinter.html

Michael

Is your Black Pine book out? Are you selling autographed
copies?

Billy:

I appreciate the interest, but I do not want to be perceived as spamming the list.

Those of you with interest about the new book can find information at my site.

Cordially,

Michael
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

Old 20-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Jim Lewis

Is your Black Pine book out? Are you selling autographed
copies?

Billy:

I appreciate the interest, but I do not want to be perceived as

spamming the list.

Those of you with interest about the new book can find

information at my site.

Answering a question is not and can not be spam -- especially
when the question is on topic.

So, the answer is . . . . ?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Korean Fir [email protected] Gardening 0 05-01-2005 10:15 PM
american or korean hornbeam Justin Nash Bonsai 1 21-01-2004 12:37 AM
[IBC] American Hornbeam---thread graft Sam Williams Bonsai 1 04-07-2003 08:44 PM
Korean Spice Bush Barely Blooms B.R. Jones Gardening 1 23-06-2003 03:32 PM
Korean Literati Painting Bart Thomas Bonsai 0 24-01-2003 03:55 AM