Old 04-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Sam Williams

Default [IBC] American Hornbeam---thread graft

hello everyone! ( and happy July 4th to Americans!)

I have a relatively small American Hornbeam that I wish to perform a
thread graft on. (Less that an inch where I plan the thread graft.) My
questions are as follows:
Is this the best time to perform thread grafts on hornbeam? How long
do hornbeams need for the branch to take? Would I still remove the leaves
from the branch even though hornbeam doesnt take kindly to defoliation?
I appreciate any and all responces!
Sam Williams
Zone 6b-7a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Jim Lewis

hello everyone! ( and happy July 4th to Americans!)

I have a relatively small American Hornbeam that I wish

to perform a
thread graft on. (Less that an inch where I plan the thread

graft.) My
questions are as follows:
Is this the best time to perform thread grafts on

hornbeam? How long
do hornbeams need for the branch to take? Would I still remove

the leaves
from the branch even though hornbeam doesnt take kindly to

defoliation?
I appreciate any and all responces!

Last time I tried a thread graft on C. caroliniana it took 3
years. Hornbeams are one of the thin-barked trees that often
take forever for grafts to "take." Be CERTAIN that the contact
between cambium layers is solid!

I think it's probably a bit late. I'd start one in early spring,
before leaves.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++