Old 20-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] BONSAI AND POP CULTURE...was...The Spirit of Bonsai Design...

I think we need to find a simpler beginning for young people instead of coming across as old farts that know the only way things need to be done. When my son was 9, we joined a bonsai club. My son had/has some talent and a good eye (he makes his living a
s an ornamental iron worker). He would do cute things, better than some of the older folk. When he was told to stop that and learn to appreciate the rules, he lost interest. He still likes bonsai and will inherit my collection. he does know how to take
care of it, beause I taught him slowly.

Kitsune Miko

Pat Patterson wrote:
G'day all...

Billy said "...if Bonsai is going to be more popular especially among a
younger, more urban population it will need to change and reflect popular
culture such as 'The Lord of The Rings...'".

I think that "...need to change..." may be a bit strong...how about "expand to
include"?

But then, I guess expand implies change. Doesn't it?

I've heard/read more than recognized bonsai artist say "...listen to your
tree...". So, while studying a tree to plan the design, if the tree tells me
"...make me look like I came from 'The Lord of The Rings...'", that's what I
will attempt. Never would I impose a "Lord of The Rings" look on a tree.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Well Iīm probably not young any more (27) and I have to admit that Iīm
planning of making an Ent funsai but I donīt think that type of "pop
culture" will increase the intrest among young people. There is enough
interest in martial arts, japanese culture and just plain bonsai for
that to happen. The key word is urban. Most young people live in the
city in a flat, with little or no possibility to grow bonsai other then
ugly cheap mallsai. Clubs and members need to be better at helping young
people out eg offering winterprotection and care for those that only
have a balocony. Itīs hell just repotting a tree indoors where you donīt
have access to a garden to soil ;-) and a hose. Practical stuff not pop
culture will help increase the intrest in bonsai.

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Pat Patterson wrote:
G'day all...

Billy said "...if Bonsai is going to be more popular especially among a
younger, more urban population it will need to change and reflect popular
culture such as 'The Lord of The Rings...'".

I think that "...need to change..." may be a bit strong...how about "expand to
include"?

But then, I guess expand implies change. Doesn't it?

I've heard/read more than recognized bonsai artist say "...listen to your
tree...". So, while studying a tree to plan the design, if the tree tells me
"...make me look like I came from 'The Lord of The Rings...'", that's what I
will attempt. Never would I impose a "Lord of The Rings" look on a tree.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 1/20/2004 10:12:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

So, while studying a tree to plan the design, if the tree tells me
"...make me look like I came from 'The Lord of The Rings...'", that's what I
will attempt. Never would I impose a "Lord of The Rings" look on a tree.

Since I haven't seen the movie, I couldn't design a "Lord of the Rings" tree
on purpose. Yes the tree must speak to you but:
1. you will only understand the message if it is in your own frame of
reference.
2. the tree design has to mean something to you and please you. If
you follow the "Lord of the Rings" story then such a tree might be very
meaningful.
3. I am trying to say that Bonsai, although a classical art, must
adapt or die. If we followed the Japanese tradition alone, we would grow any
tropical trees.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

Old 21-01-2004, 01:12 AM
sam crowell

Henrik wrote:

snip

Clubs and members need to be better at helping young
people out eg offering winterprotection and care for those that only
have a balocony. Itīs hell just repotting a tree indoors where you donīt
have access to a garden to soil ;-) and a hose. Practical stuff not pop
culture will help increase the intrest in bonsai.

I think I must respectfully disagree with this to a degree. What I think
Henrik describes is what can keep a person involved in bonsai, and enable
them to become successful. Having (or not, in my case) a local club was
neither an encouragement nor deterrent. I still don't understand where my
interest in bonsai originated...I was about an 11 year old boy about 1971,
and I just found something tranquil and enchanting about the looks of a
"miniature, ancient-looking tree". Maybe it was something like how some
people get into the model railroad hobby... Anyway, pop-culture, I don't
think is the answer to increasing the general interest in bonsai, since so
often, in "pop-culture", something pops into style, and then it pops
sometimes even faster right back out of style!

Clubs and study-groups and mentors are fantastic for the newly involved or
younger person, as a support network, information source, etc. BUt, I think
what "inspires"? a person in bonsai, or what occurs when they realize they
are interested, is as varied as each person themselves.

I know that our friends are exposed to bonsai when they visit, most think it
is "neat" but isn't something they themselves feel like getting into.
That's okay. I think the main key is increasing awareness to bonsai, if
pop-culture can be an aid in this, fine. (On the other hand, besides
entering the local fair with a couple trees, trying to get a defunct club
back into existence, or putting an add in the paper about a "bonsai study
group", I have no great ideas about how to increase that awareness locally).

Sam Crowell
Klamath Falls, Oregon, USA

http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

Old 21-01-2004, 03:13 AM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Good Night to All,
Sam,

Just sharing.
my first look at a Bonsai was on the T.V series Space 1999,
and then later through a conversation with a more enlightened
school friend when I was about maybe 16 years old or so.
The encyclopaedia,also had a picture of a pine bonsai.

When I started actually trying to grow a tree,I used clay lumps
from the backyard,then got a copy of Peter Adams's small
early Bonsai book and the in/famous[chuckle]Kamuti.
Alongside I bought books on Compost and how to do.

Essentially,the mind was receptive and the spirit willing.

As an apartment dweller in Florence,Italy,I bought trees and
compost from the greenhouses.Where there is interest there
is a way.

Bonsai/Penjing was never meant to be - popular - nor the
fad to do.

It is essentially an intellectually appealing interest,when you
really get into it.Stirring strong emotions and great joy when
working with the hands.Requiring discipline and routine.
Any attempt at enticing the very young[of mind] through
schemes will probably fail.

Some will do it until the day they die.That's just the way it is.
So I agree with you.
Khaimraj
[ West Indies/Caribbean ]

* I really tire of well meaning folk who water down everything
so crowds will join in.Reminds me of the folk movement in the
Roman Catholic church in the 60/70's - a dismal failure.

Additionally,as we are taught in Pottery,that there are many ways to
skin a cat,and if someone is doing what may seem to be the
wrong thing/way and it's working.It's better to help them figure
out why and enhance it,than dissuade them.