Old 22-01-2004, 02:56 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Moon phases

Hello all!

It's really that the moon phases have an effect on pruning of

the trees?
Why this? or it's only a tale?

It's better to prune in full moon or in waning moon?

Thank you a lot.

The moon does affect lots of things in odd ways, but I have not
heard that bonsai are in any way, "moonies."

So, that would make it "only a tale."

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "When the
moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then
peace will guide the planets, and love will steer the stars; this
is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius . . ." Hair, 1966

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-01-2004, 06:42 AM
Kitsune Miko

If you face magnetic north on the night of a full moon
with a formal upright tree the moon and the earth's
magnitic feilds will resonate with the tree and wounds
will heal immediately when cut because of the
advantage taken of the good feng shui at that
moment........NOT!

Kitsune Miko, the trickster strikes again.
--- Jim Lewis wrote:
[...]

+++++

Old 22-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

If you face magnetic north on the night of a full moon
with a formal upright tree the moon and the earth's
magnitic feilds will resonate with the tree and wounds
will heal immediately when cut because of the
advantage taken of the good feng shui at that
moment........NOT!

Now, while I recognise this as an attempt at humour, it also is one of the
things that I've heard many, many people give me as the reason they don't
participate on this list.

There are no stupid questions, and sarcastic responses to newbies' questions
are really not all that helpful, IMHO...

My 2 cents.

Nicolas

Old 22-01-2004, 08:32 AM
richard marcus

A note to newbies and all.
Here's an old Chinese saying: "Ask a question and be stupid for 3
minutes. Don't ask a question and be stupid for the rest of your life."
And while I'm at it, here's another: "The man who knows everything
learns nothing"
My 2 cents
Richard Marcus

********
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 22-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Long Island grape growers are generally retired stockbrokers who will believe anything about the phases of the moon, or negative ions, or homeopathic compost tea that they are told. We point out to them that the gravitational pull of the nearest building
is stronger than the pull of the moon on their plants.

Old 22-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Ireneu Castillo

Don't care, NIcolas, i'm not a newbie. I'm working bonsais since 1984, but I never heard nothing
about moon phases and pruning until yesterday. That's the reason of my question, to know more about
this.

I don't trouble with these jokes, but it's not a good signal, actually.

-Ireneu-

Old 23-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Good Day to All,
Ireneu,

on this side in the West Indies,moon phases tend
to deal with planting days - so many before/after
the full moon and tender seeds in the dark night [
nights of no moon.]

Bamboo cut in the dark night stays firm and bamboo
cut near the full of the moon will wrinkle badly or
dust and is easily eaten by worms.This I know from
maintaining a bamboo hedge for the last 30 years.

Wood cut in the dark of night and at the height of the
dry season,within a low tide,warps little and lasts the
longest.
Wood cut around the full moon and at high tide tends
to rot badly.
This is a fact.
[Industrial countries use artificial means to preserve
wood and soon forget the above.]

There is also some information on new moon phases
but I don't plant for a living.

Tender seeds tend to produce tasty shoots in the full
of the moon and thus are better in the dark night,unless
you have gone modern and love to abuse -insecticide or
pesticide.

As this relates to Bonsai,well I tend to cut black pines
in dark night and strike cuttings in man made or man
composed soils.Cuttings done in real soil tend to get
chewed clean on moon nights.

I offer no explanations,only what I have seen.

Of course we have our jokes as well.

Like bending down to plant pigeon peas or they will just
become tall and produce little to eat.
[if you plant pigeon peas a nitrogen producer next to
cassava,the cassava becomes bitter.
Also you triple your crop with corn,pigeon peas,and some
vines all in the same hole.Vines as in pumpkin or squash.]

Or my favourites[which I may have shared with the list before]
if your pregnant and attacked by a horsewhip[a thin insect
eating snake about 3 or 4' in length]cut a banana leaf and
use as a shield.
When the snake whips out at you,the little resistance of the fig
leaf will cause him/her to break his back.

or,beware of the logs in the forests that move and then open
their mouths sucking in everything in the vicinity.

or,legendary agoutis that outrun dogs for days.Often with your
hunting hounds returning home on stumps having worn away
their feet down to the ankles.

or,the vine that you step over and forget where you have been.
Lost in the forest forever.

Obviously there is some sense to it all and some nonsense as
well.

But the best is those poor folk who don't understand that wood
needs 25 to 50 years to mature and jin young wood with hopes
of lasting results.Having to resort to artificial aids to get the wood
to last.
Of course some woods,like buttonwood never have any natural
resistance to termites or wood borers.

It seems to be the clever/rude answers come from those who
live on artificial means.They must love playing in insecticide or
pesticides instead of simply spacing their bonsai for light and air
movement,and working with nature.Which is what the cold rooms
and mulching are supposed to be.
Stay well all.
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean]