Old 06-03-2010, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Planting Crops By Moon Phases

Does anyone think that planting crops by the phase of the moon really
makes any difference at all? Myself, I'm kind of a sceptic about this
whole moon phase thing.

Rich

Old 07-03-2010, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
Does anyone think that planting crops by the phase of the moon really
makes any difference at all? Myself, I'm kind of a sceptic about
this whole moon phase thing.

Rich

It is a branch of astrology and like astrology there is no reliable evidence
that it works. If it worked you might expect there to be statistical
evidence that planting at some phases of the moon gives better results than
others even if no mechanism was known. You might also expect a reasonable
mechanism to be proposed that is consistent with known physics, chemistry
and biology, and that could be tested to see how strong its effect was.
Neither statistics nor testable mechanism exist.

There is the argument that farmers have been practicing moon planting for
millennia and they wouldn't do it if it didn't work. This is rubbish,
people have been doing all sorts of things for a long time but that doesn't
mean there is any real benefit in it *unless* you can show the evidence.
Superstition persists in the face of lack of knowledge, just because you get
your superstition via the internet instead of at the parish pump makes no
difference.

A much better method of fructifying your gardens is if on the night of the
full moon nearest the summer solstice male and female perform their
favourite sky-clad ritual in contact with the earth. This will energise the
microflora of your soil better than compost and the karmic vibrations will
drive your earthworms into a mating frenzy.

Hare Scott Hare Scott
Scott Scott Hare Hare
Hare David Hare David
David David Hare Hare

Old 07-03-2010, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

(EVP MAN) contains these words:

Does anyone think that planting crops by the phase of the moon really
makes any difference at all?

Depends on the crop... when growing pot it matters. hehe
Old 07-03-2010, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

W dniu 3/7/2010 1:40 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
EVP MAN wrote:
Does anyone think that planting crops by the phase of the moon really
makes any difference at all? Myself, I'm kind of a sceptic about
this whole moon phase thing.

Rich

It is a branch of astrology and like astrology there is no reliable
evidence that it works. If it worked you might expect there to be
statistical evidence that planting at some phases of the moon gives
better results than others even if no mechanism was known. You might
also expect a reasonable mechanism to be proposed that is consistent
with known physics, chemistry and biology, and that could be tested to
see how strong its effect was. Neither statistics nor testable mechanism
exist.

Well, actually the explanations I've heard had more to with the moon's
impact on sea tides (moon's effect on plants' fluids circulation in this
case) than with astrology, but no hard evidence either.

Best regards,
Arkadesh
Old 07-03-2010, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

Does anyone think that planting crops by the phase of the moon really
makes any difference at all? Myself, I'm kind of a sceptic about this
whole moon phase thing.

Rich

http://www.astrologie-info.com/mocal...ng&sidtrop=sid

Nay what effects can there be on us from a object so far away? OK
tides and menstrual periods but plant life come on.

Bill

--
Billl Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

Old 07-03-2010, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

Does anyone think that planting crops by the phase of the moon really
makes any difference at all? Myself, I'm kind of a sceptic about
this whole moon phase thing.

Rich

http://www.astrologie-info.com/mocal...ng&sidtrop=sid

Nay what effects can there be on us from a object so far away? OK
tides and menstrual periods but plant life come on.

Bill

Even the influence on MPs is very doubtful. The average MP interval (28
days) doesn't closely match the interval between full moons (29 1/2) and
individual women have cycles that are even less closely related. Why don't
other mammals have a cycle that matches the moon? Our closest relatives the
bonobos and chimpanzees have cycles of 35 and 45 days. If controlled by the
moon why are all women not synchronised? This connection is poor science
and much history and superstition, just like astrology.

David

Old 07-03-2010, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

Ah it is good when the bait is taken.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16407788

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

[...]

Munchie munchie

[IMG] code is On

Blue moon - blue moon.jpg joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 0 31-05-2010 02:08 AM
phases of the moon Hamer Family United Kingdom 39 30-07-2009 01:10 PM
Planting by moon phases. sam[_2_] United Kingdom 37 08-04-2007 10:23 PM
[IBC] Moon phases Anton Nijhuis Bonsai 8 23-01-2004 12:32 PM
Moon phases Ireneu Castillo Bonsai 1 22-01-2004 03:08 AM