Old 16-02-2004, 06:12 AM
randi sharp

Default [IBC] Fungicide

This spring I want to avoid the problems I had last spring with a water/rain spread fungus that threatened to weaken one of my Chinese Elms. Tthe fungus resulted in wide spreading problem of small black 'spots' on new leaves than spread fast and furiously
through the tree. Infected leaves fell prematurely and I tried to remove them without infecting healthy leaves. The fungus seemed to be accelerated by rain ( we had a very rainy spring). In an effort to avoid the problem this year, I'm thinking I need to
spray all trees with Immunox as they come out of the cold frame. I've also thought of using Liquid Copper as well Is there a difference in performance since Immunox is systemic? Is one the better choice? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Randi Sharp - Zone 7

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Jim Lewis

This spring I want to avoid the problems I had last spring with
a water/rain spread fungus that threatened to weaken one of my
Chinese Elms. Tthe fungus resulted in wide spreading problem of
small black 'spots' on new leaves than spread fast and furiously
through the tree. Infected leaves fell prematurely and I tried
to remove them without infecting healthy leaves. The fungus
seemed to be accelerated by rain ( we had a very rainy spring).
In an effort to avoid the problem this year, I'm thinking I need
to spray all trees with Immunox as they come out of the cold
frame. I've also thought of using Liquid Copper as well Is
there a difference in performance since Immunox is systemic? Is
one the better choice? Thoughts?

Are you certain it was a fungus? Not all black spots on leaves
are fungal. Bacteria are at least as frequent causes.

I don't find any info on any fungus that is specifically partial
to the Chinese elm. They are resistant to DED. If it was a root
rot, the preventative for that is a non-organic soil that drains
well.

Did the tree grow new leaves? Were THEY infected?

As for what a fungicide is good for, read the label.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Sure sounds like "Black spot of elm", which is caused by a fungus. Immunox is myclobutanil, a very effective fungicide, IF IT IS LABELED FOR THIS USE. Find out, and don't use it if it isn't. In New York, they recommend Maneb or Mancozeb. A copper fungi
cide would also work, IF IT IS LABELED FOR THIS USE.

Me, I'd put the tree in a dry spot and water so I didn't splash the foliage.

Nina, who, let me remind you, is licensed as a pesticide applicator, yet doesn't spray anything on her trees.

This spring I want to avoid the problems I had last spring with a water/rain spread fungus that threatened to weaken one of my Chinese Elms. Tthe fungus resulted in wide spreading problem of small black 'spots' on new leaves than spread fast and furiousl

y through the tree.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Hydrogen Peroxide as Fungicide Alan Walker Bonsai 1 27-01-2004 02:26 AM
Captan 50% WP fungicide questions - please help Jay von Lehe Orchids 0 16-11-2003 07:12 PM
fungicide Dave and Kim Orchids 2 05-10-2003 11:32 PM
Listerine for fungicide? JimS. Roses 0 12-03-2003 08:21 AM
Please recommend "good value for money" fungicide, fertilizer and insecticide Thomas Wong Orchids 1 28-02-2003 06:17 PM