Old 21-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] repotting

As usual (!) I didn't make up enough soil. I mixed two large
paint buckets full of soil this winter. Surely that would be
enough. This wasn't to be a big repotting year, after all.

But I still have my largest -- a boxwood -- to repot and I'm
soilless. So back to the mixing table. :-(

I had to repot a couple that I hadn't planned for; pots broke
sometime over the winter. Don't know when -- or why; it was a
VERY warm winter, with fewer than a half dozen below-freezing
nights (but seven gazillion unpleasant, cold, gray, rainy days!).

Aside from my boxwood, I still have my tiny trees to do --
haven't touched the bucket of fine soil yet, and I'll get a
little more for it when I mix enough for the boxwood.

This is the earliest that I've been "done." We still could have
a freeze (March 16 is average last frost -- and we had a killer
in April two years ago) but I really doubt it this year. Of
course, I'll have at least one Satsuki to pot up sometime in May.
Maybe two.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Nina Shishkoff

How do I
keep the soil from exiting threw the drainage holes? This is my first time
to repot anything, and I would appreciate any advice.

- Kirby Johnson

In bonsai, we have plastic screen material that we fit over the drainage holes to keep the soil from falling out; it is similar to the plastic screen used in needlepoint, which is easy to find in craft stores and is probably less expensive. Just cut to fi
t over the hole.

Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 01-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Jim Lewis

I have a bougainvillea and it desperately needs to be repotted.
How do I
keep the soil from exiting threw the drainage holes? This is my

first time
to repot anything, and I would appreciate any advice.

Cut a square of window screen or other mesh and fasten it over
the drainage hole(s).

Old 01-04-2004, 06:58 PM
David J. Bockman

Another quick and dirty method: use the adhesive plastic mesh tape used in
drywall taping prior to mudding. A huge roll is just a couple of dollars.

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

Old 01-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

"Quick and dirty method..." I like that. A "dirty" method for repotting
;)

I agree, very inexpensive and a lot quicker/easier than the plastic screen.
However, as I am starting to repot some of the stuff I used the drywall tape
on; I am discovering that it is often VERY difficult to separate from the
rootball when you lift the plant. The plastic screen, on the other hand,
stays put right where it is supposed to be - held in place by the wire.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

Old 01-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Jim Lewis

VERY difficult? Sometimes it's hard to find, but it's not too
difficult to remove -- RRRR I I P! You'll be trimming off those
root ends, anyway.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail