Old 27-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Cupressus sempervirens

I have a Mediterranean cypress bonsai ('Swane's Golden) which I am growing in
its traditional formal upright style. I was simply keeping it sheared, but this
is not satisfactory, as the growth is uneven, and it is too bunchy in spots,
bare in other spots. I decided to try wiring it, but not sure of the right
approach. The only picture I have of a cypress treated this way is a tiny photo
in the Simon & Schuster book. The Europeans all do this species in the Kimura
style, since they are collected (and probably not 'Stricta' anyway). I was
hoping that wiring the branches straight out would encourage more sprouting on
bare spots. Any suggestions?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."