Old 13-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Rod Craddock

Default Redwoods, Sequoiadendron Giganteum, Wellingtonia, Sequoia Sempervirens

anton wrote:
Ron wrote in message ...

Does anyone know of any Redwoood trees in Essex (England)? By Redwood
I mean either Sequoiadendron Giganteum (aka Wellingtonia, Giant
Redwood, Sierra Redwood or just plain Big Tree!), or Sequoia
Sempervirens (aka Redwood, or Coast Redwood). And yes, I know they are
different trees really....

In Harlow, Essex, in a little green area between Felmongers
and what is now Mandela Avenue there are two. We used to
run up the trunk and see who could stick their penknife in the highest.
It's nice to realise that all those millions of years of
evolution resulting in a fire-resistant thick fibrous bark wasn't wasted.

--
Anton

We have treecreepers nesting in ours - they don't care that
Wellingtonias are imported aliens ;~)) We have been fortunate to inherit
several of about 100-120 yrs old. In the past few years I've planted
Metasquoia and Taxodium in one of our wet lawns and I'm looking for a
nice Sciadopitys sp? (Japanese Umbrella Pine - I can spell that;~))

Rod