Old 08-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Pieris japonica pygmacea

I've read Sabrina's species guide, which was taken directly from
Tomlinson, I think. I've reviewed Dirr, and all the bonsai books
with decent species guides, but nothing tells me how well Pieris
buds back from a drastic trunk chop.

Anyone?

Any idiosyncrasies in the plant (aside from its love of acid)?
How does it root prune?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 09-03-2004, 12:37 AM
Jim Lewis

In a message dated 3/8/2004 2:25:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I've reviewed Dirr, and all the bonsai books
with decent species guides, but nothing tells me how well
Pieris
buds back from a drastic trunk chop.

Jim:

I spent a few years working with Pieris. Bottom line: The

illusion is acceptable; it tolerate root pruning well; if you
trunk chop, be certain to do it when the temperatures are
sufficient to push growth. You will need to keep it in full sun
at that time and Superfeed. Be certain to leave leaders or
sacrifice branches to ensure sapflow.

The bark can be attractive, but I do not believe Pieris is on

the top of my bonsai species list--unlike Japanese White
Pine. );-))

Michael:

Which one did you work with? This specimen has 1/5 inch long 1/4
inch wide leaves, which is much better than the 3-inch leaves of
other Pieris cultivars at the nursery. Dirr says 'Pygmaea'
leaves are 1/2" to 1" long. The nursery had this one growing in
the shade, which may be why leaves are a bit larger.

It was the need to leave leaders that I was wondering about.
This one has 3 trunks about the size of a broomstick; the one I'd
like to cut would be leafless if I cut where I want.

Maybe I have to do it in stages over a few years????

I've seen pictures (in BT, I think, but I've lost my index of BT
galleries) of some very nice Pieris bonsai.

Thanks, Michael.

Old 09-03-2004, 02:41 AM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 3/8/2004 3:33:02 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

Michael:

Which one did you work with? This specimen has 1/5 inch long 1/4
inch wide leaves, which is much better than the 3-inch leaves of
other Pieris cultivars at the nursery. Dirr says 'Pygmaea'
leaves are 1/2" to 1" long. The nursery had this one growing in
the shade, which may be why leaves are a bit larger.

Jim:

The leaves will indeed reduce to around 1 inch or less--at least this was my experience.

It was the need to leave leaders that I was wondering about.
This one has 3 trunks about the size of a broomstick; the one I'd
like to cut would be leafless if I cut where I want.

Maybe I have to do it in stages over a few years????

Most of the nursery specimens have three trunks. You can safely remove one or even two of the trunks this season.

I've seen pictures (in BT, I think, but I've lost my index
of BT
galleries) of some very nice Pieris bonsai.

You will find the tree rewarding to style and develop over the years. I am finding myself caught between an unquenchable thirst to keep everything that I create and letting things go so that I can take promising and already existing specimens to the next
level.

Pieris simply isn't in my backyard, but that does not mean that it shouldn't be in yours. );-)

I am just another practitioner in the sea of bonsai artists expressing a personal preference. I also prefer red wines!

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

Thanks, Michael.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Pieris japonica - deer resistant? Doug Kanter Gardening 2 13-09-2005 09:47 PM
[IBC] INDICES (was Pieris japonica pygmacea) Alan Walker Bonsai 8 10-03-2004 02:39 AM
[IBC] Pieris japonica pygmacea Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 08-03-2004 08:18 PM
[IBC] Pieris japonica Jim Lewis Bonsai 6 16-01-2004 11:12 PM
Pieris japonica leaves going yellow - problem? TobyB United Kingdom 1 02-05-2003 08:33 PM