Old 15-03-2004, 11:41 PM
steph

Default Some species of tropical trees

Hi all,

I'd like to know your opinions about these trees to do bonsai :

Alectryon Oleifolius
Cochlospermum fraseri
Bombax ceiba
Eucalyptus citriodora
Eucalyptus globulus
Eucalyptus deglupta
Santalum album
Lagunaria petersonii
Thevetia peruviana
Thespesia populnea
Guaiacum officinale
Rhizophora mangle
Chorisia speciosa
Mangifera indica
Psidium Guajava
Plumeria Alba

Thanks,

Steph
Old 16-03-2004, 04:29 AM
Iris Cohen

Most of those you mention I'm not familiar with.
Guaiacum officinale is definitely a possiility, but I understand it is
difficult to grow.
If you want to try a guava, P. cattleyana is probably a better choice, because
the fuits are smaller.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 17-03-2004, 05:32 AM
cam

A Eucalyptus bonsai sounds really interesting. I'd love to see one.
What inspired the interest in all the tropicals for bonsai?

Oh, I've got a small Sago Palm on the go. Not really a bonsai, but
still a cute species, and hearty too.

Have a peak:
http://www.bonsaichat.com/galleryView.asp?picID=4

Cam
Old 19-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Pranab Nag

steph wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to know your opinions about these trees to do bonsai :

Alectryon Oleifolius
Cochlospermum fraseri
Bombax ceiba
Eucalyptus citriodora
Eucalyptus globulus
Eucalyptus deglupta
Santalum album
Lagunaria petersonii
Thevetia peruviana
Thespesia populnea
Guaiacum officinale
Rhizophora mangle
Chorisia speciosa
Mangifera indica
Psidium Guajava
Plumeria Alba

Thanks,

Steph

I guess you are growing them from seeds. Where did you obtain these from?

All I can say is I have a 5 year old Mangifera indica (mango) that shows
no sign of leaf reduction. The trunk is about 1.5 inches in diameter at
the base but the leaves can become 10inches long easy. They need a
winter dormancy but cannot stand freezing. They flower right after they
come out of dormancy (about Feb/March in India) and the fruit ripens
starting about June.

I believe santalam alba is sandalwood. I have grown several of them from
seed and only one survived. It looks like a good candidate but I am not
so hopeful it will survive.

I have not tried any of the others.

-Pranab

Old 20-03-2004, 05:51 AM
steph

Iris Cohen wrote:

Guaiacum officinale is definitely a possiility, but I understand it is
difficult to grow.

Thanks. Do you mean "slow to grow" ?

Old 20-03-2004, 05:51 AM
steph

Old 20-03-2004, 05:51 AM
steph

Old 20-03-2004, 05:54 AM
steph

cam wrote:

A Eucalyptus bonsai sounds really interesting. I'd love to see one.

I have found only one pic with google, but with a too bad quality.
I'd like to know why with more than 700 species Eucalyptus is not
used on bonsai.

What inspired the interest in all the tropicals for bonsai?

True indoor

Steph

Old 20-03-2004, 06:02 AM
steph

Pranab Nag wrote:

All I can say is I have a 5 year old Mangifera indica (mango) that

shows
no sign of leaf reduction. The trunk is about 1.5 inches in diameter at
the base but the leaves can become 10inches long easy. They need a
winter dormancy but cannot stand freezing. They flower right after they
come out of dormancy (about Feb/March in India) and the fruit ripens
starting about June.

Thanks for this Pranab, now I know about the dormancy of mango.

I believe santalam alba is sandalwood. I have grown several of them from
seed and only one survived. It looks like a good candidate but I am not
so hopeful it will survive.

Yes, this is sandalwood.
Do you know why the others are died ?

I guess you are growing them from seeds. Where did you obtain these from?

From internet :

http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
http://www.tropicaflore.com/ (only french for this one)

I have not tried any of the others.

Some day ago I read that Rhizophora mangle can be a not to bad candidate.

Steph

Old 21-03-2004, 02:08 AM
Pranab Nag

steph wrote:
Pranab Nag wrote:

I believe santalam alba is sandalwood. I have grown several of them
from seed and only one survived. It looks like a good candidate but I
am not so hopeful it will survive.

Yes, this is sandalwood.
Do you know why the others are died ?

I think too much water killed them. They need well drained soil. In
southern india they grow in pretty poor but well drained soil. Although
I also think they cannot stand being dried out too.

Eucaplytus grows in similar conditions except they have long tap roots
that can reach ground water below.

-Pranab