Old 08-04-2004, 04:33 AM
Tlsrider

Default [IBC] Grape tree

A neighbor of mine is about to do some work on his house and because he knows of my interests with plants and trees he asked me if I wanted to dig up two very old and large grape "trees". (vines, whatever). He is going to tear them up if I dont come get th
em.

So I am asking for any advice on collecting these. Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...................Rick

New England
zone 5

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Mart Verstappen

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:55:40 -0400, Tlsrider wrote:

A neighbor of mine is about to do some work on his house and because he

knows of my interests with plants and trees he asked me if I wanted to dig
up two very old and large grape "trees". (vines, whatever). He is going to
tear them up if I dont come get them.

So I am asking for any advice on collecting these. Any tips will be

greatly appreciated. Thanks...................Rick

New England
zone 5

************************************************* **************************

*****
************************************************* **************************

*****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Don't let this opppertunity go by. I will dig up this coming winter a
number of 20+ year old grapevines that have knarled and open trunks. Can't
wait. The best time is during complete dormancy of the vine this is
normally during the winter period. If possible it is a good idea to cut the
vine in the late summer, early autum as the second root growth flush will
develop some smaller hair roots. By cutting the roots, I mean to use a
sharp flat spade and dig around the vine, just cutting the roots. Leave it
in place until winter time and then dig it up. You will find some nice
fibrous roots that you will need to plant in a training box. Large roots
can be easily cut back without any problems. Cut the top back to where ever
you think is correct and apply pruning paste to the wounds. The following
spring you will be able to start training new shoots. Grape vines are weeds
and will tolerate some abuse.
Good luck,
Mart, New Zealand

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Italian

I did it in South Italy, On a sandy ground without tools. Just a spoon. It
took a little bit of time and I didn't get a lot of roots. I wrapped two
of these plants in a wet towel and brought them home. I planted them in a
big pot with humus and lava and covered everything with with a transparent
plastic bag. I left it for more than a month until I decided the new buds
were growing healthy and strong.
They are quite tough plants and it should be easy to transplant them.
Keep the interest of the bonsai on the trunk as the buds grow quite strong
and fast and you will need hard pruning.
Let me know
Enrico, Italy

Użytkownik "Mart Verstappen" napisał w wiadomo¶ci
OM...
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 22:55:40 -0400, Tlsrider wrote:

A neighbor of mine is about to do some work on his house and because he

knows of my interests with plants and trees he asked me if I wanted to dig
up two very old and large grape "trees". (vines, whatever). He is going to
tear them up if I dont come get them.

So I am asking for any advice on collecting these. Any tips will be

greatly appreciated. Thanks...................Rick

New England
zone 5

************************************************* **************************
*****

************************************************* **************************
*****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

****

****

Old 08-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Carl L Rosner

Try contacting Don Ziemann.

Here is his URL: http://www.bonsainl.nl/BPG/BS_PDZI.HTM and I believe
his Email address is: Don Ziemann .

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Old 08-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Carl L Rosner

I was once given an eight foot piece of a Grape vine. I cut it into one
four foot length and planted it in the ground outside of my Green
house. It rooted in one year and it is now over 15 feet long. I have
had grapes for the last three seasons. The other four foot lengths I
planted in cascade pots in sand and they both rooted. I never did get
grapes from them, but they were fun to play with.... until some one
wanted to buy them. ;-)

Tlsrider wrote:

A neighbor of mine is about to do some work on his house and because he knows of my interests with plants and trees he asked me if I wanted to dig up two very old and large grape "trees". (vines, whatever). He is going to tear them up if I dont come get t

hem.

So I am asking for any advice on collecting these. Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...................Rick

New England
zone 5

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Cutting grape vine after last grape bunch .. (yes..no...) ? MrMe Edible Gardening 4 21-05-2010 12:19 AM
[IBC] Grape Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 04-07-2004 08:04 PM
[IBC] grape bonsai - reportting Jim Lewis Bonsai 8 07-11-2003 01:18 AM
[IBC] Grape bonsai Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 5 01-11-2003 02:12 PM
[IBC] Wine Grape Bonsai Serial Killer kevin bailey Bonsai 6 03-02-2003 10:40 PM