Old 31-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Grape bonsai

Iris asked about Harry and David Grape bonsai. Here's one:
http://r1.us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http:...64340&ccsyn=15

Notice the too-small pot, the glued-on moss. It costs a stagerring $60.00, and comes with instructions for keeping it INDOORS. I've been telling people to demand their money back. [and, of course, to put the things outside]

The funniest response I got was some rich person, who said "I guess I should have realized that grapes belonged outside because my second house looks out on a vineyard in Napa Valley".

-Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Nina Shishkoff

What usually happens to them, aside from the fact that the leaves don't
reduce?
Iris

Well, no one has ever had one *long enough* for us to know. Grapes need full sun, high humidity, and absolutely require a dormant period. Whether someone like you, Iris, or one of our other indoor experts could keep one going indoors is one question, but
the people writing me appear to be letting them dry out. I have to wonder if you can even get grape fruit without a pollinator, but I'd have to ask my viticulture friend.

No one should buy a bonsai from freakin' Harry and David. I'll buy chocolate-covered cherries from them, but that's the MAX.

-Nina. Chocolate covered cherries, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Jim Lewis

"sulky Serissas" have been edged out of 2nd place by "Harry
and David Grape
Bonsai".

What are they, in case I meet one?

Harry and David are a pair of odd birds who send out a
connoisseur's, or gourmet's catalog a few times a year (mostly
stuff _I_ wouldn't eat or want in my home, but some folks must).
I assume from Nina's post that they have found someone to create
"authentic" grape bonsai -- possibly with the implied possibility
of making a small bottle of wine someday? ;-)

One of our local Supermarkets advertised and carried "grape
bonsai" a month or so ago. I looked for them in the store we
shop in but didn't find one. One of our club members bought one,
and -- laughing -- brought it in. It was a Chardonnay grape,
according to the label. T'was a scraggly stick with half a dozen
leaves.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - VEGETARIAN:
An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter." (Borrowed from a sig by
fellow listowner, Scott Peterson)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 01-11-2003, 08:14 AM
Pat Patterson

G'day all...

Let's not be toooo hard on Harry and David...after all, they are probably just
beginners...

Have a good day...

Pat...SE Arizona, where the grass in not greener...and we are "enjoying" the So
Cal smoke!!!

Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'

Old 01-11-2003, 08:14 AM
Pat Patterson

G'day all...

Grape "bonsai" will produce grapes without having a "companion".

Also, check out Ziemann's Grape Bonsai in California (northern).

Have a good day...

Pat

Old 01-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Jim Lewis

G'day all...

Grape "bonsai" will produce grapes without having a

"companion".

Also, check out Ziemann's Grape Bonsai in California

(northern).

Have a good day...

Not knocking grape bonsai. I have two of my own -- both native
muscadine -- Vitus rotundifolia.

And not all grapes are monoecious, though most are. V.
rotundifolia is not. Neither of mine have produced grapes --
yet -- though the vines in my yard produce a nice crop that we,
the mockingbirds and Jackie's aunt's doberman pinscher, all
squabble over.