Old 17-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Glueing Chinese Stand back together

I bought a few of those small Chinese stands being sold on E. Bay. Two of
them arrived the other day by "China Post" and "U. S. Mail." One of them had
come apart at the glue joints in two places. In one place there is a tiny
mortise and tenion joint
and at the other it is flat glued to the other part. (No joints, just two
pieces of flat wood.) This is a small stand and all the areas are 1/8 to 1/4
inch. It will stand as is, with the joints just pushed back together, but I would
like to glue them.
My concern is that any product I use will have to stick to the old
glue and a paint/stain finish on the stand. I don't want to try removing the old
glue and/or finish because I would probable have to refinish the entire
piece.

Any suggestions?

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

I have heard lots of really good things about Gorilla Glue.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

My concern is that any product I use will have to stick to the old
glue and a paint/stain finish on the stand. I don't want to try

removing
the old
glue and/or finish because I would probable have to refinish the entire
piece.

Any suggestions?

Superglue? Sticks most anything to anything, especially since you have a
hard glued surface to apply it to. Maybe worth a try and it shouldn't do

any
damage if it doesn't hold.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++