Old 28-04-2004, 04:05 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

Default [IBC] SLUGS!

beer in little saucers... slugs lov'em. Pets don't really go for it
(though an old dog of mine was known to empty bottles...) Easy to pet proof
by putting something over it though.

I'm looking for a pet friendly solution to a fairly severe infestation of
slugs. I soon will be moving to a new house which has quite a large garden
which I will convert part of into a bonsai garden, however the place is
riddled with slugs! Any ideas will be welcome.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Jim Lewis

You can also lay a board -- say 8" x 10" x 1" -- on the
ground/table, etc. The slugs will tend to gather in the moisture
that stays underneath after you water, especially in the heat of
the day, and you can collect them and have your way with them.
;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

=============
And a little dash of salt is the perfect garnish for the little
darlings!
They'll positively melt! ;-))))
Alan Walker
=====
I'm looking for a pet friendly solution to a fairly severe
infestation of
slugs. I soon will be moving to a new house which has quite a
large garden
which I will convert part of into a bonsai garden; however the
place is
riddled with slugs! Any ideas will be welcome. +

***************
***************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 28-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Nina Shishkoff

There's nothing like waking up to a mailbox filled with mail titled "SLUGS!".

I'm looking for a pet friendly solution to a fairly severe infestation of
slugs.

The answer seems pretty obvious: collect up the best slugs and keep them as pets.

Nina, helpful as always.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-04-2004, 03:04 PM
John Grotts

I'm looking for a pet friendly solution to a fairly severe infestation of
slugs.

Collect 'em for Fear Factor!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Kitsune Miko

Get ducks or geese. They will eat the slugs. The
geese will also guard the bonsai. make sure they have
enoght other green stuff to eat.

Kitsune Miko

=====
"Art does not take kindly to facts, is helpless to grapple with theories, and is killed outright by a sermon." Agnes Ropplier
(added to the above)
"How many things in life do we bludgeon with facts, render helpless
with theories, and kill with sermons? If art can help us go beyond
these patterns, we certainly need it in our lives."
Anne Wilson Schaef
From, "Women Who Do Too Much Calandar 2004."

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 28-04-2004, 07:10 PM
SAINT

"Nina Shishkoff" wrote

The answer seems pretty obvious: collect up the best slugs and keep them

as pets.

Nina, helpful as always.

maybe not THAT pet friendly.

Leslie

Old 01-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Alan Walker

Old 05-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Bernie

"SAINT" wrote in message ...
"Nina Shishkoff" wrote

The answer seems pretty obvious: collect up the best slugs and keep them

as pets.

Nina, helpful as always.

maybe not THAT pet friendly.

Leslie

When evening's shadows fall, you tiptoe out to the garden with your
spray bottle full of ammonia. A couple squirts will just nuke the
little suckers; and it's been alleged that the ammonia is actually
good for the trees.

Alternately, you could round up a couple dozen of the larger
specimens, purge them in cornmeal for a couple days, yippee-ki-yo,
they're Nude Escargot!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Edmund L. Castillo

I lived in Provence for a couple of years in the 1960s, and our maid
regularly collected the slugs from our yard in a jar full of lettuce. After
a couple of days she cooked them as escargot, and when we left France she
was as healthy and happy as the day we arrived. Why does a shell on their
backs make them less yucky?

Hint: Close your eyes and add lots of garlic and butter.

ed

****

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

Old 05-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Nina Shishkoff

and it's been alleged that the ammonia is actually
good for the trees.

Slugs: the squirrels of the 21st century.

Ammonia is a nitrogen source, and in that sense, is good. However, it breaks down into ammonium, a volatile gas that is toxic to plants. No problem outdoors, but a big problem in enclosed environments. Growers who fertilize late in the fall and then put
their plants in hoophouses to overwinter often see ammonium toxicity.

Just being comprehensive,

Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++