Old 12-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Fwd: [IBC] Have I killed a new Cotoneaster ??

Kitsune Miko wrote: Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 08:26:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kitsune Miko
Subject: [IBC] Have I killed a new Cotoneaster ??
To: Mark Hill

Mark,

This is not directed only at you, but it does surprise me that people bring plants home and do a lot of stuff to them right away. If you got a pet would you demand that it did tricks the day you got it? If you brought a baby home from the hosipital, woul
d you see how many different things you could feed it? Expect it to read Shakspear, play badmiton, fly a plane?

I bring plants home and have a get aquainted period. I see if they continue to thrive where I put them. I prune a bit to see what grow-back pattern is in the plant. THEN I invite it out to play.

OR I already know how a specific type of plant behaves in my setting. So with elms, maples, azaleas, junipers, and pines, I alreay know what to do. I could bring one of those home an work on it right away.

A cotoneaster microfilla is not idiot proof. It likes to be repotted in fall before there is frost. (October/November in Northern California). It doesn't like heavy root pruning. I prune foliage to encourage growth rather than to reduce size. I have a
neat one and I have a dead one. If I can find my brains, I will try to post a photo in the gallery of the unfinished (living one).

Kitsune Miko
Mark Hill wrote:
Hi all

Two weeks ago I purchase a cute little shohin sized Cotoneaster from a local
nursery.
It looked rather happy, with tiny green leaves in typical potting soil.

I stared at it for a few days until I decided to trim/repot it.
I trimmed about 25% of the leaves and roots and stuck it into good bonsai
soil into which I mixed about 25% of it's original potting soil.

Two days after repotting the leaves started to dry out and turn crunchy.
A week later I'm staring at a bare little tree.
I've kept it moist the entire time with a slight amount of indirect sunshine
every day.

Have I killed it ... or is this a characteristic of this tree ?

I've read that cotoneasters are "idiot proof".
Guess I'm a better idiot than I thought !!

Mark Hill - Zone 7 - Harrisburg PA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

To a woman who complained about her destiny the Master said, "It is you
who make your destiny."

"But surely I am not responsible for being born a woman?"

"Being born a woman isn't destiny. That is fate. Destiny is how you
accept your womanhood and what you make of it."

Anthony de Mello, SJ

MORSEL: Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will. --Jawaharial Nehru (1889-1964)

To a woman who complained about her destiny the Master said, "It is you
who make your destiny."

"But surely I am not responsible for being born a woman?"

"Being born a woman isn't destiny. That is fate. Destiny is how you
accept your womanhood and what you make of it."

Anthony de Mello, SJ

MORSEL: Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will. --Jawaharial Nehru (1889-1964)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++