Old 26-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Pickle

Default Help! Have I killed my roses?

A couple of my rose bushes are showing pale leaves and frizzled
shoots, the other bushes in the same bed are OK.
I've been using occasional bifenthrin spray to control greenfly but I
don't think it can be that because I've used the same spray on all the
bushes, not just the sick looking ones.
I keep telling myself that I wouldn't be so daft, but I have this
awful feeling that maybe I used Tumbleweed one time instead of bug
spray. If that's the case is there anything I can do? Are the plants
likely to actually die or will they rocover in time? The plants are
otherwise healthy and well-grown.
Please can anyone put my mind at rest?
Old 26-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Gareth Jones

In message , Pickle
writes
A couple of my rose bushes are showing pale leaves and frizzled
shoots, the other bushes in the same bed are OK.
I've been using occasional bifenthrin spray to control greenfly but I
don't think it can be that because I've used the same spray on all the
bushes, not just the sick looking ones.
I keep telling myself that I wouldn't be so daft, but I have this
awful feeling that maybe I used Tumbleweed one time instead of bug
spray. If that's the case is there anything I can do? Are the plants
likely to actually die or will they rocover in time? The plants are
otherwise healthy and well-grown.
Please can anyone put my mind at rest?

I don't know if roses are particularly susceptible to glyphosate, but
most large woody plants don't die particularly easily! They do go yellow
and frizzle.... but then they tend to grow back.
I'd put money on them being ok eventually if that indeed is what you've
done.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old 27-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Pickle" wrote in message
m...
A couple of my rose bushes are showing pale leaves and frizzled
shoots, the other bushes in the same bed are OK.
I've been using occasional bifenthrin spray to control greenfly but I
don't think it can be that because I've used the same spray on all the
bushes, not just the sick looking ones.
I keep telling myself that I wouldn't be so daft, but I have this
awful feeling that maybe I used Tumbleweed one time instead of bug
spray. If that's the case is there anything I can do? Are the plants
likely to actually die or will they rocover in time? The plants are
otherwise healthy and well-grown.
Please can anyone put my mind at rest?

If you used the insecticide then its probably scorch (if you sprayed in the
sun) and the bushes will recover, if you used tumbleweed which I believe is
the same as roundup then I am afraid they are dead, rose are very
susceptible to glysophate. you will just have to wait and see!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk