Old 23-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Carol Schroeder

Default [IBC] Shoot Tip Moths and Pines

Thanks to Nina, Michael and Jim for the quick responses to the problem
of Shoot Tip Moths on pines. I'm ready to try to "bridal" netting on
both the pines and the cicadas. I had purchased pool covering netting
for the cicadas with 5/16 inch holes and found that the cicadas are
crawling through the netting as they emerged from the ground during the
night and the next morning I found them sitting on my trees inside the
netting looking out . Maybe the bridal netting which has smaller holes
will discourage both cicadas from laying eggs on their favorite trees
and Shoot Tip Moths on pines. It's worth a try before I resort to
insecticides. On Monday I will contact the Maryland Cooperative
Extension Service for further information.

Carol Schroeder
Columbia, Maryland, Zone 7

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++