Old 03-02-2003, 11:33 AM
Per Arne Pedersen

Default [IBC] SV: [IBC] Fukien Tea tree

Hi Billy & all,

You say that you don't grow cascade "that way"...
Can you please tell me a better way to create a cascade? Honestly, I
thought this was the only way (please refer to my first posting for
descriptions).

However, thanks for the reply Billy!

..per arne

snip -------------------------------------------
Billy said:
I don't grow under lights and have never tried to create a
cascade the
way you did. Having said that, my Fukien Teas seem to lose leaves
without
rime or reason, but always come back. Yes, I have seen this stop -
start
behavior also.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

End of snip -----------------------------------------------------------

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

I suppose I have never really tried to grow a full cascade however I
have used wire to get a branch to turn down over the side of the pot. I have
heard of putting the pot on its side with the cascade branch up, but never
totally upside down. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work but I would think
that since you are already stressing a plant by growing it in a pot and
indoors that growing it upside down would really put a lot of extra stress on
the plant and roots. How long did you leave the plant upside down? Did you
turn it up to water?
Billy

Old 03-02-2003, 03:48 PM
SAINT

Well, I don't have any fukien tea cascades, but one of the ways that I have
created a cascade is to grow the collected material so that it lies flat.
Foliage is trained with the final position of the tree in mind. Then I tilt
the pot by propping it with a brick to take the tree downwards. Over a
period of time you slowly move the tree closer to the vertical. Eventually
you repot, but tilt the new pot in the opposite direction so that the tree
is at a similar angle to what it was before you repotted. You continue the
tilting process until it is vertical.

voila!

cascade

two caveats.

1. some species don't grow down, when you start to tilt they stop growing at
the end. I think your method might work better here.

2. You usually end up with roots at the top of the cascade that are exposed
and can be unsightly. I'm hoping they'll thicken and look a little more
presentable in the future otherwise, I may have to remove them eventually or
hide them with an apex.

well anyway that how I've done it.

Leslie St. John
Barbados
West Indies

"Per Arne Pedersen" wrote in message
Hi Billy & all,

You say that you don't grow cascade "that way"...
Can you please tell me a better way to create a cascade? Honestly, I
thought this was the only way (please refer to my first posting for
descriptions).

+++++