Old 17-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Ritchie

Default Seed Germination

Hi,

I've read through some of the posts on the group and some of you seem
pretty knowledgeable so I hope you can help me.

I can germinate most seeds but I'm having problems with a variety
called Athrotaxus (selagnoides, cuppressoides and laxifolia). They are
Tasmanian pines/cedars and they're fairly unusual but interesting. The
seeds are similar in appearance to a redwood seed.

I've tried top sowing in soil in a bag, in a bag with moss, in a bag
with cotton wool. I'm currently trying in the dark in soil but I'm not
holding my breath. I have given them cold spells in the fridge, soaked
them in water...

Anyone know a combination that will work?

thanks, Richard
Old 17-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Jim Lewis

"Ritchie" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I've read through some of the posts on the group and some of

you seem
pretty knowledgeable so I hope you can help me.

I can germinate most seeds but I'm having problems with a

variety
called Athrotaxus (selagnoides, cuppressoides and laxifolia).

They are
Tasmanian pines/cedars and they're fairly unusual but

interesting. The
seeds are similar in appearance to a redwood seed.

I've tried top sowing in soil in a bag, in a bag with moss, in

a bag
with cotton wool. I'm currently trying in the dark in soil but

I'm not
holding my breath. I have given them cold spells in the fridge,

soaked
them in water...

If the seeds have a thick coating, you may have to nick the hard
coat with a SHARP, CLEAN knife.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature