Old 22-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Little Badger

Default Okra seed germination

Bought some Okra seeds yesterday and planted them in a heated propagator (22
Deg C)

This morning all four seeds had germinated!

Badger

Old 29-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Tim Tyler

Little Badger wrote:

: Bought some Okra seeds yesterday and planted them in a
: heated propagator (22 Deg C)

: This morning all four seeds had germinated!

Congratulations.

Anyone know if you can grow seeds fresh out of Okra pods?
--
__________
Old 30-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Little Badger

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
Little Badger wrote:

: Bought some Okra seeds yesterday and planted them in a
: heated propagator (22 Deg C)

: This morning all four seeds had germinated!

Congratulations.

Anyone know if you can grow seeds fresh out of Okra pods?
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/

Try it and see!

Badger

Old 31-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Tim Tyler

Little Badger wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...

: Anyone know if you can grow seeds fresh out of Okra pods?

: Try it and see!

I have done - but I don't know if there's any chance of success - i.e.
whether I'm dealing with hybrid seed - or whether I'm doing it wrong.

No matter - I'll probably buy some Okra seeds (from CN seeds) -
/presumably/ they will sprout.
--
__________
Old 31-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Little Badger wrote:

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
Little Badger wrote:

: Bought some Okra seeds yesterday and planted them in a
: heated propagator (22 Deg C)

: This morning all four seeds had germinated!

Congratulations.

Anyone know if you can grow seeds fresh out of Okra pods?

Try it and see!

It's scarcely worth the bother, actually. Okra sold as a vegetable
is very unripe.

All of mine succumbed to fungus/whatever during the cold spell that
followed their germination. I lost a lot of subtropicals, and most
of the others are only now beginning to recover - some probably
won't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 31-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Tim Tyler

Nick Maclaren wrote:
: Little Badger wrote:

:
: : This morning all four seeds had germinated!
:
: Congratulations.
:
: Anyone know if you can grow seeds fresh out of Okra pods?
:
:Try it and see!

: It's scarcely worth the bother, actually. Okra sold as a vegetable
: is very unripe.

I've heard that Okra "reach 6 to 9 inches long, but are best harvested at
2-3 inches in length". Those are the fruit, of course.

: All of mine succumbed to fungus/whatever during the cold spell that
: followed their germination. I lost a lot of subtropicals, and most
: of the others are only now beginning to recover - some probably
: won't.

Hmm - thanks for the advice.

A pity - I was looking forward to trying growing them - now that I
have found some seeds for sale.

Knowing me, I'll probably give it a go anyway ;-)
--
__________
Old 31-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Colin Malsingh

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
Little Badger wrote:

: Bought some Okra seeds yesterday and planted them in a
: heated propagator (22 Deg C)

: This morning all four seeds had germinated!

Good luck. Probably stating the obvious but they'll do best in a
greenhouse.

I bought some seeds back from the West Indies a couple of years ago
and had no trouble germinating them. The plants even grew to 4 foot
plus, behind glass.

In the meantime, I asked for advice in a US-based newsgroup. When they
found out where I was trying to grow them (UK) they fell about
laughing.

After that, I was determined to succeed, just to show them. I got
several beautiful flowers and about 2 Okra fruit in total...

However, I tell myself that I'd imported seeds of a strain that
wouldn't normally grow under our conditions. This year I have bought
plants from a UK supplier and they are currently about 8 inches tall
with 3 leaves each, in my greenhouse.

Good luck to everyone who's trying!

Colin
-----
Replace the obvious with Bigfoot
Old 01-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Dwayne

Okra likes lots of sun, warm weather, and can live without a lot of
watering. I live in the U.S. and cut it every 2 or 3 days during the peak
season, and cut it about 3 inches long. It will get longer, and some are
designed to get really long, but if you let them get too long, they wont be
tender.

Let a few pods dry on the plant for next years seeds. When they are dry,
they start cracking open and dropping seeds. The trick is to catch them
before they crack too much.

Have fun. Dwayne
"Little Badger" wrote in message

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
Little Badger wrote:

: Bought some Okra seeds yesterday and planted them in a
: heated propagator (22 Deg C)

: This morning all four seeds had germinated!

Congratulations.

Anyone know if you can grow seeds fresh out of Okra pods?
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/

Try it and see!

Badger

Old 01-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On 31 May 2003 10:09:39 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

All of mine succumbed to fungus/whatever during the cold spell that
followed their germination. I lost a lot of subtropicals, and most
of the others are only now beginning to recover - some probably
won't.

Remember that okra is of African origin, and needs really hot
weather to do well -- tropical weather, in fact. It's widely
grown in the steamy summer climate of the American southeast --
think Louisiana gumbo.

From what I understand of the British climate, okra would be a
dead loss out of doors in the UK. It might do in a sunny
greenhouse.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Dwayne wrote:
Okra likes lots of sun, warm weather, and can live without a lot of
watering. I live in the U.S. and cut it every 2 or 3 days during the peak
season, and cut it about 3 inches long. It will get longer, and some are
designed to get really long, but if you let them get too long, they wont be
tender.

Let a few pods dry on the plant for next years seeds. When they are dry,
they start cracking open and dropping seeds. The trick is to catch them
before they crack too much.

If he achieves THAT in the UK, even growing them under glass, it will
be pretty impressive! Remember that our sunlight starts dropping off
HARD in 3 months' time :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rodger Whitlock wrote:
On 31 May 2003 10:09:39 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

All of mine succumbed to fungus/whatever during the cold spell that
followed their germination. I lost a lot of subtropicals, and most
of the others are only now beginning to recover - some probably
won't.

Remember that okra is of African origin, and needs really hot
weather to do well -- tropical weather, in fact. It's widely
grown in the steamy summer climate of the American southeast --
think Louisiana gumbo.

Yes, I was weaned on it. Think The White Man's Grave :-)

From what I understand of the British climate, okra would be a
dead loss out of doors in the UK. It might do in a sunny
greenhouse.

This WAS in a sunny, south-facing, somewhat heated conservatory!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Little Badger

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article , Dwayne

wrote:
Okra likes lots of sun, warm weather, and can live without a lot of
watering. I live in the U.S. and cut it every 2 or 3 days during the

peak
season, and cut it about 3 inches long. It will get longer, and some are
designed to get really long, but if you let them get too long, they wont

be
tender.

Let a few pods dry on the plant for next years seeds. When they are dry,
they start cracking open and dropping seeds. The trick is to catch them
before they crack too much.

If he achieves THAT in the UK, even growing them under glass, it will
be pretty impressive! Remember that our sunlight starts dropping off
HARD in 3 months' time :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have grown Okra (in a greenhouse) a few times now and have always had a
good crop! I first grew them when I was 11 years old in my mums greenhouse!

I'll report back on how my plants are getting on!

Badger

Old 02-06-2003, 10:00 AM

I've heard that Okra "reach 6 to 9 inches long, but are best harvested at
2-3 inches in length". Those are the fruit, of course.

Okra ... Yeuch. In my opinion, one of the worst vegetables in existence!
Horrible, slimy stuff however one cooks it.

;-}

- h

Old 02-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:49:54 +0100, H wrote:

I've heard that Okra "reach 6 to 9 inches long, but are best harvested at
2-3 inches in length". Those are the fruit, of course.

Okra ... Yeuch. In my opinion, one of the worst vegetables in existence!
Horrible, slimy stuff however one cooks it.

;-}

But isn't that the whole point of eating okra, the ingestion of
sliminess combined (if you are lucky) with the sensation of fine
velvet? And the flavor really is quite pleasant, a subtle
nuttiness unlike anything else I've tasted.

I like it!