Old 22-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Justin Diaz

Default [IBC] Moss? Also, Azalea losing Vigor.

In nearly every book I read on bonsai, I see a different p.o.v. on moss,
if there is one. so maybe that divides the debate into 3 groups, those
that like it, those that dislike it (none or only for a show), and those
which find it inconsequential. Any thoughts? Are there some undeniable
facts that I may weigh to come to my own conclusion?

Also, I have a collected azalea (about a week old), all the leaves are
green, but have small almost white speckling dots on them, that are very
small and unless you look closely you can't really see that they're
individual dots. it hasn't dropped any leaves, however they're a little
papery to the touch and slightly wilted. Am I paranoid because I want the
little tree to make it, and really nothing's wrong and a little lack of
vigor is to be expected? Or is some other run-on sentece explanation or
situation the case?

Thanks,

Justin

"Sometimes, I do things."

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-06-2004, 03:04 AM
Jim Lewis

..

In nearly every book I read on bonsai, I see a different p.o.v.

on moss,
if there is one. so maybe that divides the debate into 3

groups, those
that like it, those that dislike it (none or only for a show),

and those
which find it inconsequential. Any thoughts? Are there some

undeniable
facts that I may weigh to come to my own conclusion?

There's no one size fits all for moss. It depends on the soil,
your watering habits, your climate, and your taste.

Where I live it is difficult to NOT have moss. In Arizona, moss
is a treasured luxury. I tend to leave moss on my mame and
shohin and keep it off my larger trees. I never let moss grow
all the time on an azalea; around here it climbs up the trunks
and rots the bark.

Also, I have a collected azalea (about a week old), all the

leaves are
green, but have small almost white speckling dots on them, that

are very
small and unless you look closely you can't really see that

they're
individual dots. it hasn't dropped any leaves, however they're

a little
papery to the touch and slightly wilted. Am I paranoid because

I want the
little tree to make it, and really nothing's wrong and a little

lack of
vigor is to be expected? Or is some other run-on sentece

explanation or
situation the case?

The dots are OK. If you collected it a week ago, allow it to be
in shock for a while. It may lose all of its leaves, but if you
don't overwater and if you keep it out of the sun it should do
OK.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 22-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Nina Shishkoff

In nearly every book I read on bonsai, I see a different p.o.v. on moss,
if there is one. so maybe that divides the debate into 3 groups,

If I see moss in my bonsai pots, it makes me suspect I need to repot, because my drainage is getting bad.

Also, I have a collected azalea (about a week old), all the leaves are
green, but have small almost white speckling dots on them, that are very
small and unless you look closely you can't really see that they're
individual dots.

Are they regularly spaced? Easier to see on young leaves? If so, they could be trichomes, i.e. leaf hairs. Azaleas have scaly ones. [Nina has been cutting leaf disks from diseased azalea leaves, burying them in mesh bags and digging them out in order
to dissect the rotting tissue. Nina knows too much about azalea leaf anatomy, thanks.]

A good hand lens is something everybody should own. It makes life pretty darn miraculous! And it empowers the bonsai owner, who can see thrips, spider mites, powdery mildews and other little things really easily.

Nina.
---
Nina Shishkoff

Old 22-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Jim Lewis

A good hand lens is something everybody should own. It makes
life pretty darn miraculous! And it empowers the bonsai owner,
who can see thrips, spider mites, powdery mildews and other
little things really easily.

Too true. But has anyone ever seen a hand lens mentioned in the
traditional list (of mostly superfluous) "necessary" bonsai tools
found in every beginner book?

Jim Lewis - - This economy is a wholly owned
subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson