Old 22-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Can you help me identify my Bonsai?

Dave,

Welcome. This is the place to say to find out what to
do with your bonsai. I don't have my books here, but
this is a tropical plant, common name false arelia.

First thing is whether the gravel is glued in place
and whether it covers the entire surface or did they
leave a space around the tree wher eyou can feel the
ground.

I haven't had this plant in quite a while and never as
a bonsai. I am sure others will help you with the
care part.

Kitsune Miko

--- Dave Amundson wrote:
I received a Bonsai for Fathers Day and I know
nothing about them. I
have read on the web that the first thing you should
do when starting
out to care for a Bonsai is to find out what kind of
plant you have.
I'm looking for help in this. I have put a photo of
my Bonsai on the
web. Can anybody tell me what kind of Bonsai this
is? Also I would
like any advice you may have for me in the care of
this Bonsai.

http://www.funatcurves.com/bonsai/

Thank in advance for your reply
-Dave Amundson-
Houston, TX

++++Sponsored, in part, by John
Quinn++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
"I was born with a birth defect-- no herd instinct."
Brenda Ueland

Old 22-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Jim Lewis

I received a Bonsai for Fathers Day and I know nothing about
them. I
have read on the web that the first thing you should do when

starting
out to care for a Bonsai is to find out what kind of plant you

have.
I'm looking for help in this. I have put a photo of my Bonsai

on the
web. Can anybody tell me what kind of Bonsai this is? Also I

would
like any advice you may have for me in the care of this Bonsai.

http://www.funatcurves.com/bonsai/

That looks to me like an aralia to me. Maybe someone with a bit
more indoor experience than I have can discuss the tree in some
detail.

First, however, you need to check to see if those rocks on your
soil have been glued in place. This usually is done to keep from
losing soil when the tree is shipped to the dealer. If they are,
you need to carefully remove them and fill in the resulting
hole(s) with good potting soil. You can replace any moss on top
of the soil (as well as the larger rocks, if you want).

If possible, the tree should be kept outside in warm weather. It
can come indoors in fall, winter and early spring. Water when
the soil begins to feel dry. Soggy soil kills bonsai. Test with
your finger or with a stick you keep jammed in the soil. Pull it
every day and feel the dirty end. If it is damp (cool), do not
water. Fertilize with any indoor plant food avert 2 weeks,
following directions on the label.

Google for "indoor bonsai" and see what comes up. We have
limited info on indoor bonsai at our site
(www.internetbonsaiclub.org). Check the FAQ and the Knowledge
Base. There are excellent general bonsai articles at
www.evergreengardenworks.com but I don't recall seeing much on
tropicals or indoor trees.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of bonsai.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!