Old 22-06-2004, 09:06 PM

Default [IBC] Just Curious

Can anyone tell me how long wire has been used for bonsai training? I was
under the impression it became common in the early 20th Century, when copper wire
started being widely manufactured for electricity. Somebody tried to tell me
it goes back earlier than that. What are the facts?
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-06-2004, 09:02 AM
TreeBay

The manufacturing of wire from various metals dates back to the 1830's

I believe, although I may be wrong on that. It was used for

applications other than electricity.

The original question did not specify copper, but copper has been in
use for some 10,000 years. Wire itself has a similarly ancient
history and found use in tools, musical instruments, weapons and
jewelry. Ancient Egyptian dentists were using gold wire to create
dental bridges back a couple millennia BC!
http://tinyurl.com/yvzlg

Iron wire was produced in 400AD
http://tinyurl.com/2rohh

Drawing wire became known in the 14th century

Now, with all that, I would be very surprised if the use of wire to
wrap and bend branches has been much longer than a century. That's
based strictly on my casual analysis of photographs and drawings of the
type of refinement styling that was being done in the past. Other
uses of wire, including tie downs, turnbuckles and hanging stones no
doubt preceded this.

BONSAI by Kyuzo Murata (1960) discusses wiring in some detail.
My oldest English-language book on the subject, Bonsai - Miniature
Potted Trees by Norio Kobayashi (1950) Gives the topic one paragraph in
177 pages!

Regards,

Matt

--
TreeBay - Tips:5¢ Advice:Free

-Carpe Tree-um- (Seize the bonsai!)
'TreeBay Bonsai Tools & Supplies' (http://www.TreeBay.com)
Thank you for supporting bonsaiTALK.
TreeBay's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...tinfo&userid=5
View this thread: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/showthre...?threadid=7217

just curious torgo Roses 5 04-03-2004 07:29 PM
Just Curious, O/T - Box Turtle diet laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 1 28-07-2003 11:03 PM
Now totally off-topic :-) [Was: Just Curious] Phred Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:27 PM
Just Curious Iris Cohen Plant Science 12 26-04-2003 01:27 PM
Just curious, for now Ted Byers Orchids 4 15-02-2003 10:27 PM