Old 06-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Passing on the torch (was: [IBC] How many of you hord/keep bonsai?)

Thanks for everyones response.
It made for some interesting reading and certainly different

views on the
subject.
I guess what it comes down to for me is while I haven't

suffered any
fatalities yet with bonsai, it may happen, so I am accounting

for that in a
way.

Lucky you.

Also, looking at what I have styled/created over 5yrs and it

looks good, and
will only get better with age.
I'd have trouble in actually purchasing a completed bonsai, as

I didn't
create it.

IF a bonsai is ever completed, I'd have to agree here. I have no
interest in "collecting" bonsai -- though I don't mind at all
"collecting" trees and turning them into bonsai. ;-)

I know, getting one from the wild is similar, but at least

nature
did it, not someone else, and I could keep the style going.

Please let us know when you find a tree in the wild that is
"styled" as a bonsai. They all need some "improvment," from the
artistic perspective.

My hobby for the past 12yrs (since I was 16) was doing up old

Aussie cars
(V8'S). While I did get satisfaction from it, I kept them for a

year or so
after finishing them, then sold them. Unlike bonsai, I couldn't

keep every
car I created. Although relatively new at it, bonsai is much

more
satisfying, cheaper, and relaxing than cars, and at least 10,

20, 30 yrs
down the track I will still have them, be enjoying them,

working on them
stress free and for a lot less cost than a car. Modifying cars

has totally
grinded to a halt with me.

Yah! Some folks DO grow up. (GRIN)

Getting back on track, at the very least I may trade bonsai,

but never sell
them, and possibly if my daughter (who is only 14months old)

finds it
interesting, pass them on to her.

Never say never. And I hope your child(ren) do grow to enjoy
little trees, but don't be too disappointed if that doesn't
happen. There are so many things (like rebuilding cars? And
BOYS!) to grab young people's attention these days (and it'll
only get worse) that the "old folks' sport" of bonsai almost
always is far down the list. Too contemplative.

Bill Valavanis' boys seem to be following in their fathers'
footsteps, but I know of few others.

Anyone on the IBC who has kids that enjoy doing their own little
trees (or who say, "No Dad (or Mom) it'll look better THIS way!")

Mine smile at their Dad's eccentricity and evince polite interest
every now and then. My son, now 42, occasionally finds a tree in
the woods (at least he loves to walk the woods like I do) he
thinks will make a good bonsai (usually not) and points it out to
me, forcing me to be unnaturally diplomatic.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-07-2004, 03:03 PM
kevin bailey

"Bill Valavanis' boys seem to be following in their fathers' footsteps,
but I know of few others."

Harry Tomlinson's sons are both following him in the business, with some
success. Last I heard is that Korin is in charge of the British National
Collection at the Birmingham Botanical Garden.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Craig Cowing

Jim Lewis wrote:

snip

Getting back on track, at the very least I may trade bonsai,

but never sell
them, and possibly if my daughter (who is only 14months old)

finds it
interesting, pass them on to her.

Never say never. And I hope your child(ren) do grow to enjoy
little trees, but don't be too disappointed if that doesn't
happen. There are so many things (like rebuilding cars? And
BOYS!) to grab young people's attention these days (and it'll
only get worse) that the "old folks' sport" of bonsai almost
always is far down the list. Too contemplative.

There is always the problem of unsupportive spouses too. (Now THERE'S a topic that
could turn the list into group therapy in a New York minute!) My ex-wife tolerated
my trees, but did everything she could to prevent me from passing my interest in
bonsai to my children, and succeeded with the older two. There's hope though. My
youngest son (age 11) is interested in growing plants, so I'm trying to find
something that his mother won't kill. Maybe a jade plant! I'll have to put a
label in the pot that says something like "water on the first and fifteenth of
every month only!"

Bill Valavanis' boys seem to be following in their fathers'
footsteps, but I know of few others.

Unfortunately, I think that's true, and in Japan as well, not just here. I still
remember a conversation I had with a Japanese exchange student a few years ago. My
daughter became good friends with her while she spent a year attending the same
high school. She'd come over occasionally, and was interested in my bonsai. I
asked her if anyone in her family did bonsai. "Yes," she said. "My grandfather."

snip

Mine smile at their Dad's eccentricity and evince polite interest
every now and then.

My kids think it's kind of funny. The old man's slipping into senility a little
early, that's all. They are still processing Anita and her trees. Wait until they
see the backyard when the other trees come! I'll tell you--there will be one
helluva club auction when we kick the bucket!

snip

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 06-07-2004, 07:02 PM
alicia-dr-hankins

hahahah
my son, age 19 sure does! (-was 16 when and in hawaii, when he first started
bonsai...) of course he is weird like us, age
36...and love bonsai...and love the 'old people' that come
with the 'sport'...
since we are now in new orleans, and he is in
portland (college), when he visits, the first place we
head off to is...to get a tree...!!! i am housing
several of his 'creations' until he returns to 'trim them up'
and start a new one...
when he moved into his dorm, they each got an ivy...
he bonsai-ed it! ahahaha...then, he found a nursery nearby
and got a few trees to place on his window
sill...he had to place some outdoors under a 'real' tree...good
thing he was on the first floor because he'd leave
his window open to 'talk' to his babies...
so,
*raising hand...and shouting...me, me, me,...i got a kid
that will show up and give me HIS creative critique
of MY trees...i get back at him when he is done
with HIS though...hahahahah

smiles,
alicia (now in new orleans, and growing trees in hawaii too)